MSE Poll: How many paid-for streaming services do you subscribe to?

Options
Poll started 22 August 2023

With the likes of Netflix clamping down on account sharing and the cost of living crisis continuing to bite, some people are cancelling subscriptions to video streaming services to save cash. So this week, we want to know what paid-for services you currently subscribe to, if you've cut back in the last 12 months and why.

Click here to vote in the poll.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.
If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    Options
    Currently I have Prime (which is more than worth it for the free delivery etc. the streaming is an added bonus), and Disney+, which I paid for on an annual subscription last year, but will not be renewing when it expires, largely due to them nearly doubling the price, which to me means it is nowhere near value for money. I will do what I do with Netflix which is dip in for a month twice a year, rather than pay continually. I do not have a TV license and do not watch live TV, or anything on other catchup platforms, but I do not watch a lot of TV so I might not be indicative of the average user/household. 
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I only subscribe to Netflix as I think the content is generally good and I get a lot of use out of it. I do subscribe to Amazon Prime every December for the free next day delivery and the PL football. However, I don't bother for the rest of the year because the film and TV content is nowhere near as good as Netflix and I prefer to shop around rather than blindly purchasing stuff off Amazon. 

I would also add that I subscribe to Spotify for music (Duo account with the other half) which is not on the list. Again, £15 a month for two people I think is great value and I get a lot of use out of it. Amazing to think I used to pay around £10 for one album on a CD and now I can listen to everything for £7.50 a month per person. 
  • ginger_chocolate
    Options
    I've always just cycled through them depending on what I want to watch. I'll subscribe, watch a series, then cancel and watch a series on something else and so on. I might hunt out a film now and then on whatever service I happen to be signed up to at the time. I have a standard TV license too but only use IPlayer really, no live TV.  I feel like you'd need to watch *a lot* of TV to make it worth subscribing to more than two services at the same time.
    I use the free version of Spotify - I've never really seen the benefit of the premium personally as I only ever listen to music at home where I'm connected to wifi anyway. Sure you get ads but it's just like listening to the radio except with a playlist I actually like. 
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We will be stopping Disney+ before we get hit with the price increase. I don't watch it much but the boys in the house like the Star Wars and Marvel shows.

We will swap it rather than cancel and will likely just switch between Disney and something else. 

Netflix seems to be the best value for us, we are still sharing with my parents - they did have a warning message, but that's resolved itself now and I just open up the app on my phone when I'm there to keep it registered. 
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have cut down on a lot of my subscriptions as I found myself rarely using them. I have Netflix and PrimeVideo and switch between the two. I cancelled Disney+ as I didn't use it that much and I am subscribed to Spotify and Soundcloud for my music.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback