MORTGAGE PRISONER COMPENSATION - NORTHERN ROCK

Options
I have received a letter from the Financial Claims Office stating that Northern Rock had involuntarily made me into a Mortgage Prisoner following the bank's nationalisation in 2008. They contacted me by letter to state they could assist me with a review of my previous Northern Rock mortgage in order  to recover any compensation i may be entitled to. Has anybody else received correspondence similar to this please?

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds made up!
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Please read the letter carefully and find out who is trading as "The Financial Claims Office" and let us know.

How much will this assistance cost ?

Sounds very dodgy to me.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Do they claim to be part of the government or FCA or something? (potentially legit or incredibly cheeky)

Do they say you need to "sign up" which might mean you have to give them a percentage?  (bascially a "phishing" exercise)
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    One way or another you are going to be asked for money, either to fund the legal work or to pay for an insurance policy, either way there will usually be an introducing company passing on the work to a disposable entity which will subsequently go out of business...
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    There is no such thing as "the financial claims office" it sounds like it is just a claims management company. 

Things like this usually involve you paying something - an "insurance policy" or an "admin fee" or something that gets you to spend your money. It comes with a promise to claim £xxxxx and they will take 20-30%.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have received a letter from the Financial Claims Office stating that Northern Rock had involuntarily made me into a Mortgage Prisoner following the bank's nationalisation in 2008. 
    There is no regulatory or official "thing" as the Financial Claims Office.

I have also checked companies house, and there was a limited company trading with that name until 2013 when they were struck off.  its the sort of name that wouldnt be allowed nowadays either as its designed to confuse people.

They contacted me by letter to state they could assist me with a review of my previous Northern Rock mortgage in order  to recover any compensation i may be entitled to. Has anybody else received correspondence similar to this please?
    As there is no company of that name and there is no compensation available to you (NR don't exist any more, so who do you think would be paying that compensation?) then it looks like you are being scammed.  

A fairly common scam is to make you think you are owed loads of money and then when they knoiwyour greed is working harder than your common sense, they introduce an up front fee that you willingly pay as greed is winning the battle.  That fee is made up and is what you go on to lose.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • cathharries
    Options
    Just received one myself major red flags 🚩 before I even opened the letter looking into the gov website too fco has been desolved but their now trading as durrmonds limited (can be seen in the small print of the letter) 
    Lucky I know my stuff (ish)
    1 wrong name (ish) on the letter 
    2 was sent to my parents address 
    3 I've never had a an account or anything to do with Northen Rock 
    Hopefully no one will fall for this scam!
  • NorthWalian
    Options
    Has anyone ever actually used them?
  • Strummer22
    Options
    Probably more likely been used by them!
  • NorthWalian
    Options
    Probably more likely been used by them!
    You are probably right