Wilko - Going Bust

Options
subjecttocontract
subjecttocontract Posts: 1,908 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 3 August 2023 at 9:23PM in Shop but don't drop
Looks like Wilko is going under. 
Sale is on at moment ......I expect the shop will be virtually empty by weekend.
Anyone with a Wilko card needs to be careful.

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,704 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Sale is on at moment ......I expect the shop will be virtually empty by weekend.
    I think this is somewhat alarmist - especially the title.

What has actually happened is that Wilko have served a notice of intention which means the company will appoint administrators at the High Court. 

It also gives the high street store a ten-day window of opportunity to confirm a deal, whilst also being protected from action by creditors.

There are talks with potential investors.

So I really doubt that "the shop will be virtually empty by weekend".

Joules were in the same position in November 2022 but are still trading as they were rescued by Next.

I'm not saying this will happen to Wilko but it certainly is not as clear cut as you make it out to be.

• savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Pollycat said:

What has actually happened is that Wilko have served a notice of intention which means the company will appoint administrators at the High Court. 

It also gives the high street store a ten-day window of opportunity to confirm a deal, whilst also being protected from action by creditors.

Joules were in the same position in November 2022 but are still trading as they were rescued by Next.

I'm not saying this will happen to Wilko but it certainly is not as clear cut as you make it out to be.

A little alarmist, and a virtually empty shop would seem to indicate lots of customers buying.
    However this statement is to give breathing space from creditors- they owe money, presumably to suppliers. Landlords, and probably the taxman. If they go into administration it would seem likely that they will come back as a new business with no liability for the existing debt, if they come back at all. And to my thinking reaching a deal without going into administration would appear unlikely.
  • MSE_Molly_G
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Wilko has fallen into administration – here is our story if you want to know more. We will be updating it with more information soon.

Wilko falls into administration – here are your refund and shopping rights

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

• adeo63
    Options
    Sorry to hear about potential for 1000+ staff to lose jobs, always loved too browse in Wilko ;( 
    They have posters in store windows "administration sale, 1000's of reductions throughout store in last few days but I've yet to find anything actually labelled reduced! Anyone got anything reduced significantly (confused)
  • adeo63
    Options
    adeo63 said:
    Sorry to hear about potential for 1000+ staff to lose jobs, always loved too browse in Wilko ;( 
    They have posters in store windows "administration sale, 1000's of reductions throughout store in last few days but I've yet to find anything actually labelled reduced! Anyone got anything reduced significantly (confused)
    Btw. In my local Wilko store they have plastered windows with administration sale, 1000s of reductions throughout store, but there's nothing been marked down on items or self edge labels. You have to get items scanned at checkout to find out if reduced!
  • imalwaystired
    Options
    adeo63 said:
    My local wilko have been putting prices up on things. They were selling lynx shower gel for £5 then they put it on sale for £2.25 with a ticket saying normal price £4 but the normal price on their website is £3.50. They were also selling footballs for £4 but they put them up to £6. 
  • imalwaystired
    Options
    Pollycat said:

I went in wilko today for some bedding and they didn't have the size I wanted on the shelf so I asked a worker and he said our warehouse is empty and everything on the shelves is all the stock they got. I also noticed my local wilko is removing shelving units.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,565 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got some stationery items yesterday - exercise books, organisers books etc at great prices. i assume they are old designs as there are lots of full priced similar items on the shelves.

looks like a lot more on the shelves than there was a few weeks back
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Roygroyg
    Roygroyg Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    adeo63 said:
    My local wilko have been putting prices up on things. They were selling lynx shower gel for £5 then they put it on sale for £2.25 with a ticket saying normal price £4 but the normal price on their website is £3.50. They were also selling footballs for £4 but they put them up to £6. 
    Just in today and noticed similar on some previous sale items. Set of gloves I got last month on clearance from £3 to £1.50 are back up to £3 but with 30% off.
    some other sale items in diy area seemed unchanged but there was nothing showing as on sale on shelf labels in gardening (other than blanket 30% off). There were existing signs in that area with a big sale on them so looks like they’ve cancelled some original reductions.

for regular stocked items some good bargains like 30% on stationery.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    adeo63 said:
    We went in Saturday, was 20% off all DIY and 10% off all pet food. Only a few signs on each aisle, its not labelled on each item. Other categories have offers too, but I can't remember the reduction, those are the ones I bought.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback