How do you normally pay for things when you're on holiday abroad?

Options
We're well into summer now (although you might not know it with all the rain!) and millions of us are planning an overseas trip. So this week, we want to know how you normally pay for things when you're abroad. Do you stick to cash, or do you think a credit card gets you more bang for your buck (or euro, or dong)? Let us know in this week's poll.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.
If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks!

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 August 2023 at 12:50PM
    Options
    I use a mixture of methods, but the poll only allows one option. 
    I always have some cash for emergencies or for somewhere that doesn’t take cards. So I buy some currency before I go, but then sometimes use the fee free cashpoints to get more out if I need to. 
    I also spend on the clarity credit card or the Starling current account because they are both cost-effective ways of doing so.

so basically a bit of everything. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Tim.5
    Tim.5 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Use to do cash but this time we are going to mainly use Chase Card for spending, First Direct Debit Card for Hotel deposit and Halifax Credit Card for Car rental deposit. As well as taking left over cash from last time 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    No singular answer because it depends where in the world you go to... Europe would be mainly Starling debit card but going to Central/South America and many shops etc dont accept cards and so need cash from local ATMs via Starling or Santander card. If making a big purchase where S75 could be of future benefit then credit card. 
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Agree with the sentiment above - it depends where you go. My default option would be to use Barclaycard Rewards credit card, but a lot of countries are still largely cash-based societies. Where it's not possible to pay with card, I will withdraw cash from an ATM using my Starling debit card. 
  • DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I will always take some cash with me for when I arrive. But once that runs out I will tap my Monzo card. I have found they have the best rates and I have recently upgraded to premium which means that you get up to £600 free withdrawal for the first 30 days you are abroad.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback