PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Remove cinema screen or leave in place

Options
So, we're just doing final prep to put our house on the market. Need to do some decluttering over the next week, dress the house etc. I have spent the last 12 months getting all the jobs done that I've been putting off, so the house is as good as it will ever be without spending a fortune.
One thing me and the OH can't agree on is the cinema screen in our living room. Would it put you off buying, or is it a talking point? Can't decide whether to take it down or leave as is. It's not hard to remove as it is just held by two eyebolts, and I could even remove them and fill in the holes. It can just be put in the up position as well. Doesn't affect the layout of the living room, as we turn the sofas when we have a movie night, and the projector sits on a table and is put away otherwise. Any thoughts? 

Comments

• oldernonethewiser
    Options
    So, we're just doing final prep to put our house on the market. Need to do some decluttering over the next week, dress the house etc. I have spent the last 12 months getting all the jobs done that I've been putting off, so the house is as good as it will ever be without spending a fortune.
    One thing me and the OH can't agree on is the cinema screen in our living room. Would it put you off buying, or is it a talking point? Can't decide whether to take it down or leave as is. It's not hard to remove as it is just held by two eyebolts, and I could even remove them and fill in the holes. It can just be put in the up position as well. Doesn't affect the layout of the living room, as we turn the sofas when we have a movie night, and the projector sits on a table and is put away otherwise. Any thoughts? 
    It affects how the furniture is laid out.

I would remove it if I was selling.

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,237 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Use it to show a slideshow of local amenities and attractions during viewings?! In seriousness though I don’t think it would bother me either way, shows a bit of potential in the room but is clearly temporary. Perhaps wind the screen up so no one thinks you are hiding anything behind it?
  • spoovy
    spoovy Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd leave it rolled up. Nice little feature that they can easily remove if they don't like it.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you intending to leave it or take it when you sell?

Personally would remove it, its a distraction. If it was built in and didnt require rearranging the room each time it may be different
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,050 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Changed my post as I'd originally assumed you were considering leaving it.
    I wouldn't worry for viewings - but I certainly wouldn't leave it unfurled as it is now. If you plan to have more movie nights, then I wouldn't even bother taking it down - just retract it.
    I can't see this mattering a jot to viewers - it'll be an 'Oh! Interesting!' point, yes, but not off-putting. It might even make some realise the flexibility of the room arrangement, so prime the EA that it's there and is used for giant-screen family movie nights - a lovely thing to have.
    Another way to decide - ask the EA!
    If it looks weird or distracting even retracted, then take it down for viewings, but don't bother removing the clips. Again, tho', prime the EA in case anyone asks about the clips.

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It might not put me off, but the job of ‘making good’, post removal, would be a item in the ‘cons’ column of my pros/cons list
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • maladict
    maladict Posts: 44 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It might not put me off, but the job of ‘making good’, post removal, would be a item in the ‘cons’ column of my pros/cons list
    Yes, this.  If I saw it I wouldn't know it was just two small screws and would think it would require much more making good than just filling a couple of holes, which would definitely be offputting. 
  • MultiFuelBurner
    Options
    Oh one house we purchased photos all up the stair.walls top of the hall and the office walls upstairs.

Didn't put us off as we were redecorating anyway.

As for the screen does it look better up or down? But yes leave it.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all. I think I'll leave it for now, put it in the up position, and see what the EA says. I've promised the OH it's a 5 minute job to make good should we need to.
  • MultiFuelBurner
    Options
    Thanks all. I think I'll leave it for now, put it in the up position, and see what the EA says. I've promised the OH it's a 5 minute job to make good should we need to.
    Yeah that's a five minute job, just don't mislead the OH about the state of the loft (like I may have done on our last move 🤣🤣)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback