Help - Amazon delivered Bathroom Scales instead of £1,500 Laptop

Options
Hi,

I'm in need of some help please, a friend of mine contacted me for some advice on what laptop to buy, she was originally going to spend £3,000 on Mac and I told her not to as she didn't need to spend so much money on something for what she was going to be using it for. Instead I told her to buy a laptop from Amazon in the Prime Day sale which cost her £1,500 instead and was more than capable of what her intended use was for.

Amazon delivered her parcel and inside the box was some bathroom scales instead of the £1,500 laptop she ordered. She immediately notified Amazon after talking to them for hours and was told she would have to pay for the item to be returned at her expense. She also has a crime reference as she also notified the police. Amazon have received the returned parcel and sent her an email to say the item sent back is not the correct item (you don't say!!).

She's then been back and forth with Amazon and they said to her she'd get a refund last Friday (28th July). That day has been and gone, she then contacted Amazon again who then said it would be Monday (today 31st July). Again no refund.

I feel really bad as it was me who told her to get the laptop and she's been massively screwed over by Amazon. She paid using a debit card and has notified her bank too who was supposed to send her some paperwork to fill in (again yet to receive this).

Please can I ask for some help on what she can do here. It's a lot of money and Amazon don't seem to be giving her her refund. Now when she tries to email Amazon by replying to her customer support ticket it just keeps bouncing back.

Any help would be much appreciated on getting her her money back.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would give them a bit more of a chance to sort out the refund, if they've said they will be sending one (in writing, yes?) but that was only a couple of working days ago.
  • mccartrey
    mccartrey Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If she paid by credit card she can claim chargeback on the entire amount via the Credit Card company
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mccartrey said:
    If she paid by credit card she can claim chargeback on the entire amount via the Credit Card company
    As long as she is happy for Amazon to close her account, as that is what usually happens when you use a chargeback.
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    sheramber said:
    mccartrey said:
    As long as she is happy for Amazon to close her account, as that is what usually happens when you use a chargeback.
    Citation for this being the "usual" outcome, please.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Previous threads on here when people have reported this happening.
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    sheramber said:
    Previous threads on here when people have reported this happening.
    So, not "usual" then, but anecdotal, and from those more likely to post their bad experience (see, I can make assumptions too :smile:)

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's certainly a factor in my thinking now.  I don't know anyone who has had their account closed, but I have seen threads on here where people have reported it.  The cases where it's arisen seem to be from people that have admitted to a pattern of returns that Amazon clearly find excessive.  I don't recall anyone's account being closed after a chargeback but of course it remains a possibility.

Amazon is useful to me, but I now consider that anything valuable is best ordered elsewhere or purchased in person.  Amazon is often slightly cheaper, but the value of the account to me for the many orders I do place is more than the sum of the modest savings I'd make on the few expensive items I might buy from them.
  • tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sheramber said:
    mccartrey said:
    Citation for this being the "usual" outcome, please.
    Maybe more accurate to say that at least it is a possible outcome so they should be prepared for that to potentially happen - and there would be no comeback if Amazon chose to do so. And might also apparently impact access to downloaded media. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback