unfair train penalty

Options
PolkaUK
PolkaUK Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 20 July 2023 at 9:31AM in Public transport & cycling
Can someone advise me of where do I go from here. Long story short- I travelled to airport for a funeral. We boarded the train, phone died as we left in such a rush and when approached at the gate- of course I didn't have tickets. I wasn't worried as I put the appeal against with proof of purchase through Paypal( receipt) and didn't think anything of it, until they replied back; A receipt or proof of payment is not a ticket, is not valid for travel and will not be accepted in place of a
ticket at the time of travel. I obviously tried to login to place where I bought it from but its not there to send any more screenshots.

I cant afford paying that amount and I feel also why should I when I had the ticket in the first place. I appealed 3 times, and they kept saying to pay.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 July 2023 at 11:12AM
    Options
     So are you saying you had a valid E ticket, but were unable to show that to them because your phone had died? Or that you had opted to print the tickets at the station? Proof of purchase without a ticket doesn’t show anything because you could have just given the tickets to someone else to use.

I’m not clear where the logging on bit comes from, because if your phone was working to log on to whoever you bought a ticket, from then surely you should’ve been able to just show them the ticket? Or are you talking about showing proof for your appeal? 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why is it "unfair"? You travelled and could not produce a valid ticket.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,871 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PolkaUK said:
    Can someone advise me of where do I go from here. Long story short- I travelled to airport for a funeral. We boarded the train, phone died as we left in such a rush and when approached at the gate- of course I didn't have tickets. I wasn't worried as I put the appeal against with proof of purchase through Paypal( receipt) and didn't think anything of it, until they replied back; A receipt or proof of payment is not a ticket, is not valid for travel and will not be accepted in place of a
    ticket at the time of travel. I obviously tried to login to place where I bought it from but its not there to send any more screenshots.

I cant afford paying that amount and I feel also why should I when I had the ticket in the first place. I appealed 3 times, and they kept saying to pay.
    Was  it the proof of purchase which you couldn't show because the phone was dead or the actual ticket? I refuse to have my senior railcard or tickets on my phone in case there is a problem with the phone itself. 
  • youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    edited 18 July 2023 at 3:39PM
    Options
    Post on here and do include the precise facts. Disputes & Prosecutions | RailUK Forums (railforums.co.uk) 

Several years ago my son went on a long distance train journey to check out a University. He'd lost his 16-25 travel card but thought he would be able to offer proof of purchase when he got back home and it would be OK.  The inspector took his name and address.  A court summons for 'intent to travel without a valid ticket' came through a few weeks later.  I had to pay a solicitor to deal with it, it would have been a criminal record.  
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    That's a very interesting forum for anyone who uses the rail regularly 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport