Underground contactless I nnfare price help

Options
c129876
c129876 Posts: 33 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 16 July 2023 at 3:04PM in Public transport & cycling
Need to go from 

- Oxford Circus - South Kensington SINGLE (2 adults)  -- £2.70 each??

- South Kensington - London Bridge RETURN (1 adult) __  £5.40??

Both journeys require 1 change; I'd have to change at Green Park to get from Oxford Circus to South Ken, and change at Westminster to get from South Ken to London Bridge & back.

I know a single fare is £2.70. So I've put in bold what I presume those journeys to cost. 

However, I'm not sure if I'd be charged at the "changeover stations" too, presuming I have to tap to get through barriers??

Could anyone underground users clarify please?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 July 2023 at 4:18PM
    Options
    To go from Oxford Circus to South Kensington, you'd take the Victoria line to Green Park, and then, the Piccadilly line to South Kensington. You would tap in, on entering Oxford Circus, and tap out when you get to South Kensington,  tapping at the intermediate stations where you change (e.g. Green Park) isn't required, there are no barriers to get through to change between lines. You only tap in or out when entering or leaving the station.

These stations are also all in Zone 1. The only time you'd intermediate tap (without leaving the station) is if you're routing yourself to stay out of Zone 1 and avoid the Zone 1 fare - there are labelled pink contactless tapping points for this, rather than the yellow entry/exit ones.  

For the South Kensington - London Bridge, you'd take the District Line to Westminster and then the Jubilee Line to London Bridge. 

If you're doing contactless, then there is the £8.10 daily fare cap (or you pay for the individual journeys up to this amount), and each person needs their own contactless debit/credit card. 

• c129876
    c129876 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    @Emmia That's soooo helpful, thank you! 

So can I just confirm, no matter how many journeys I take within zone 1 in one day, I would only be charged a maximum of £8.10?

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    c129876 said:
    @Emmia That's soooo helpful, thank you! 

So can I just confirm, no matter how many journeys I take within zone 1 in one day, I would only be charged a maximum of £8.10?

That's correct. 

There's also a weekly cap of £40.70 

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/tube-and-rail-fares/pay-as-you-go-caps

Different cap levels apply if you go into the other Zones as well as Zone 1

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/tube-and-rail-fares/caps-and-travelcard-prices?intcmp=54720
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,784 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The single fare finder is always useful, put in the start and end and it tells you the fare.
    Single fare finder - Transport for London (tfl.gov.uk)
  • MilesT6060842
    Options
    Independent Oysterfares website version of fare finder tends to give more info as to why a specific fare is charged

https://oysterfares.com/fare-finder/

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure