HMRC paying tax refunds to agents instead of individuals - with no warning

Options

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morally wrong yes, legally wrong it would seem not.  It or something like it has been going on for years.  Have you checked that you are definitely entitled to the tax refund?  The part in the article which refers to them making false claims & getting a payout for them is also true & landed some people in a mess because even though they got the refund after the fees were deducted, when HMRC asked for the money back they had to pay it back in full.
  • NP09
    NP09 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's even worse!

This whole situation doesn't apply to me, but I felt that perhaps it was a legality that MSE might be interested to campaign against - not sure how to go about making the suggestions, so I posted here. 

I know there are far more desperate priorities atm though, so would probably sit a fair way down the list.
  • Trebor1403
    Options
    Hi there , I’ve just have the non pleasure of Nationwide ppi advice LTD .I’m sure you know how it goes , got HMRC letter telling me of rebate but saying it was being sent to Nationwide ppi advice . I don’t know who they are and I’m also on benefits for my disability so would never ask for a rebate . I have tried calling direct with one number no longer in use at all and another to a voice message giving out an email address then asking to leave voice mail message so I’ve email them direct . I’ve called the police and custom service. Also local mp as I’m gonna make as much noise as I can .
  • home4u
    Options
    Would there be anyone out there who could advise how I can chase up my overpaid tax refund which has been sent to Nationwide PPI Advice Ltd and not to me, even though HMRC have confirmed in writing and on their web site they have sent a cheque to me?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    home4u said:
    HMRC have confirmed in writing and on their web site they have sent a cheque to me?
    In those communications, the "me" (you) that HMRC refer to is "you or your Agent".  It would seem as though HMRC have the company you mentioned as your Agent.
  • snowbunnie
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. Called HMRC and they paid the money on the 1st October to Nationwide PPI advice Ltd. Tried calling the number no answer and a message saying email them or leave a voice message. Who do I contact for help to get this money back?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback