Split ticketing on train

Options
Split ticketing has some disadvantages. Recently went from Exeter to Alnmouth. Saved £30 but ended up with 8 rickets for 8 consecutive legs on the same train. Each ticket having a different reseved seat! Train was 58 mins late so entitled to delay repay. Unfortunately delay occurred on last three legs so was only able to claim on those legs. If i had got a through ticket i would have been able to claim delay repay on whole journey (and had same seat)

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,588 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 15 July 2023 at 1:17PM
    Options
    You are a mistaken.

Delay repay applies to the journey, not the number of tickets or the leg which is delayed, so claim for the whole trip cost.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And you don't need to move up and down the train to use the reserved seats.  You can sit in any unreserved seat if you wish.
  • SandyShores
    SandyShores Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 July 2023 at 10:57PM
    Options
    Last time I went on a long journey I went into the station ticket office and asked them to split it for me.  They were happy to book the journey and split the tickets and they reserved me the same seat all the way through. 
    Mortgage 31May est. £183,500 £244,947, Ends Jan'38 Jun'39 (target Feb'31)
    H2B Loan Est: £75k (accord to NW) - saved for Jun25 so far £15

EF £6,325; Personal savings (PBs/ISA new car fund): £2200
    Check Seven Goals Regularly; Work-life balance.
    Celebrate being 60; Be 'Good Enough'
    Books Read: stuck on no.6 in 2024
  • James_Londoner
    Options
    martindow said:
    And you don't need to move up and down the train to use the reserved seats.  You can sit in any unreserved seat if you wish.
    To my mind it's discourteous to other passengers to not occupy your reserved seats, if it prevents other people from using those seats.
    testing 123
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    martindow said:
    To my mind it's discourteous to other passengers to not occupy your reserved seats, if it prevents other people from using those seats.
    Not really.  If trains are busy people will take their chances of sitting in reserved seats, prepared to move if necessary, but  knowing that a good proportion are not going to be used.  If a train is lightly loaded then seat reservations are irrelevant.
    For instance, seat reservations are often made for off-peak returns where passengers are not tied to a particular train and will frequently travel on a different service.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback