Summary of Train and Tube strikes July 2023

Options
I needed to create a summary for some travel planning I was doing, thought it would be useful to share

--happy to take corrections, have used several news sources which give inconsistent answers and there isn't an official TfL list for tube strikes that I can find (some operators have posted rail strike days to their websites)

Mon 17 July train (partial?)
Thu 20 July train (most companies)
Fri 21 July no strikes (may be early morning disruption/early finish)
Sat 22 July rail (most companies)
Sun 23 July tube (Eliz line operates, unclear if Overground will operate)
Mon 24 July no strikes (may be early morning tube disruptions/early finish)
Tue 25 July tube (Eliz line operates, unclear if Overground will operate)
Wed 26 July tube (Eliz line operates, unclear if Overground will operate)
Thu 27 July tube (Eliz line operates, unclear if Overground will operate)
Fri 28 July tube (Eliz line operates, unclear if Overground will operate)
Sat 29 July rail (most companies)
Sun 30 July no strikes (may be some early morning disruptions)
Mon 31 July no strikes

Predictably, the prices of coaches (National Express, Mega, Flix) seem to have spiked as people seek alternatives.

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for making a list Miles, but I think it would be helpful to have some more detail of what action is taking place and the effect it is likely to have.

A week or so ago there was no rest day working happening with several companies.  When I travelledGreat Western was operating almost completely as normal at least in the Thames valley, whereas Thameslink had cancelled substantial numbers of trains.

It is quite a complex situation as the fact that action it taking place on a certain day does not mean that travel will be impossible or even difficult.
  • MilesT6060842
    MilesT6060842 Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 July 2023 at 7:33PM
    Options
    On Rail strike days, the impact will be specific to each Train operating company, and far too complex to put into such a summary (and more time than I was willing to spend for my needs).  There will be some impact for most of the operators, hence I have summarised as "most operators" as a call to action for people to do their own specific checking.

Best consult the website of the train companies you plan to use.

Personally, I'm interested in GA and SWR, and both look to be significantly impacted to the point that it is not worth trying (which is kind of the strategy being taken for these strikes, create enough uncertainty for minimum absence).

Tube strikes: seems it will be complete shutdown, except Elizabeth line and maybe Overground (I can't find confirmation of the latter).  There are some other useful rail lines in London that can replace some tube journeys on tube strike days (e.g. Thameslink, Greater Anglia, Chiltern, C2C, some SE, GWR and SWR, and HEX).

What I haven't included in the summary is the several weeks of engineering shutdowns which will impact the tube and rail routes in North London out towards Watford (including the Overground Watford DC line), I think overlapping some of the strike days.  I would expect the replacement bus services (routes 718-720) will be running. 
  • MilesT6060842
    Options
    I needed to create a summary for some travel planning I was doing, thought it would be useful to share

--happy to take corrections, have used several news sources which give inconsistent answers and there isn't an official TfL list for tube strikes that I can find (some operators have posted rail strike days to their websites)

Mon 17 July train (partial?)
    Thu 20 July train (most companies)
    Fri 21 July no strikes (may be early morning disruption/early finish)
    Sat 22 July rail (most companies)
    Sun 23 July tube (Eliz line operates, unclear if Overground will operate)
    Mon 24 July no strikes (may be early morning tube disruptions/early finish)
    Tue 25 July tube (Eliz line operates, unclear if Overground will operate)
    Wed 26 July tube (Eliz line operates, unclear if Overground will operate)
    Thu 27 July tube (Eliz line operates, unclear if Overground will operate)
    Fri 28 July tube (Eliz line operates, unclear if Overground will operate)
    Sat 29 July rail (most companies)
    Sun 30 July no strikes (may be some early morning disruptions)
    Mon 31 July no strikes

Predictably, the prices of coaches (National Express, Mega, Flix) seem to have spiked as people seek alternatives.
    The strike day timetables covering up to Fri 28 approx. are now visible on websites. (Sat 29 onwards becomes visible on 21st)

Some operators are offering reduced service, reduced frequency, usually ending early evening and starting a bit later in the morning. 

Some operators have withdrawn advance tickets, only offering Standard and basic flexible Offpeak products, and may not offer seat reservations.

I haven't checked all operators, just the ones I need for my planned travel.

Advanced tickets will be valid on nearest trains if the specified train is cancelled.  Operators may allow greater flexibility for dated/timed tickets (next day, or refund), check specific operator website.

But you need to look at specific routes to understand what is available.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,871 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    According to the Metro, London Overground isn't affected  When is the next tube strike? London Underground July 2023 dates | UK News | Metro News
  • MilesT6060842
    Options
    katejo said:
    According to the Metro, London Overground isn't affected  When is the next tube strike? London Underground July 2023 dates | UK News | Metro News
    Well that's interesting.  (And that information seems to be relegated to a footnote on the latest updated to TfL website--clear communications-NOT)

It would seem that Eliz line and Overground are not affected by either group of strikes.
  • MilesT6060842
    Options
    Tube strikes now CANCELLED!

Train strikes till on:
    • Sat 22 July rail (most companies--Eliz and Overground not affected)
    • Sun 23 July no strikes (may be some early morning rail disruptions)
    • Fri 28 July (may be some late night rail disruptions)
    • Sat 29 July rail (most companies--Eliz and Overground not affected)
    • Sun 30 July no strikes (may be some early morning rail disruptions)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback