Car Insurance

Options
Hi

Son has just passed test and being quote £3k for first insurance anyone else have any tips or recommendations of where to go next as this is too expensive.

Thanks

Comments

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What car is he trying to insure?

Has he done the basics such as adding older drivers as named drivers?
  • lastbigspender
    Options
    400ixl said:
    What car is he trying to insure?

Has he done the basics such as adding older drivers as named drivers?
    Toyota Carolla 1.4

Yes we have done that and the quote is with telematics as well !!!
  • snowmen
    snowmen Posts: 637 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you tried the providers not on the comparison sites like Direct Line or Aviva?
  • lastbigspender
    Options
    snowmen said:
    Have you tried the providers not on the comparison sites like Direct Line or Aviva?
    Yeah tried just thought maybe some else had better ideas!!
  • snowmen
    snowmen Posts: 637 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Apart from making sure the mileage the insurance quote is based on is accurate I'm unsure.
    When i reduced my mileage on my quote down as i was using the car less, it brought the premium down a fair bit.

Have you tried quoting third party only as well as fully comp?

I have just got my insurance renewal through which had gone up 60% on last year. Even after doing the normal stuff and ringing my insurer back I managed to get it down a little but it still went up a fair bit on last years figure.
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Has he already bought the car,? A Toyota Corolla won't be the cheapest of cars to insure for a young driver.

I know when doing our daughters, what you put in as education type for job role, and where the car would be parked day and night made a difference. Also any part time jobs also made quite a difference as to how they were described.

But the biggest difference that was in our control was what car was being insured.

Not sure if the price is competitive as insurance in NI has always typically been higher than the UK mainland I believe.
  • Randomreader
    Options
    Have you looked at a multicar policy? Also parking, if you have a garage could he use it? Doing advanced test also reduces costs but I don’t know much about it.  
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does he have a job, there was something on insurance on mse site, have you read that ? link is along top of the page.
  • stuhse
    stuhse Posts: 266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When our son reach 17, we researched the cheapest cars to insure. At the time it was Renault clio,  or Ford Ka.   We bought an old clio for £400.  It cost £1200 the first year with Tesco and a black box fitted.  The black box is great, they simply cannot speed....I remember what I was like when I passed my test !  Gave us great piece of mind.  After a year of good driving the 2nd year the premium virtually halved. The year after that halved again.  We had the car for about 5 years before he was gifted his grandmas car when she gave up driving.  The trickiest bit was when I drove the car ..trying to keep strictly to speed limits !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback