Options

Comments

• HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 July 2023 at 9:31PM
    Options
    sheramber said:
    Sugar was dropped from cordials because dentists blamed it for tooth decay in children.
    And the fact sweeteners  are much cheaper ingredient than sugar.

EDIT
    Just like they've reduced chocolate bar sizes, for the heath of the children!
    Nothing to do with reduced costs

Let's Be Careful Out There
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,245 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Similarly I don't like sweeteners and my choice of drinks has diminished as a result.
    Rock's orange juice is one of the few remaining squashes.
    A lot of Monin ones are still good.
    For fizzy drinks I took back some Fentimans bottles a couple of weeks ago, as they've changed to sweeteners.
    There's a Romanian shop near me which still has some non-sweetener ones.
    The imported Arizona ones from the UA seem to be converting too - I bought some last week and one tasted off, so I looked on the label and sure enough...
    When I go out now for a meal I mostly just have tap water.
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    prowla said:
    When I go out now for a meal I mostly just have tap water.
    I do that a bit , or ask for a Coke, the decent one, not the shi**y one, they always seem to know the one I mean :smile:
    Appletiser is also an option, as although it's sugary it's not added so no sugar tax.

Let's Be Careful Out There
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 July 2023 at 10:14PM
    Options
    I use fruit tea bags in cold water, leave it a couple of hours (or overnight in fridge for stronger taste) and you have flavoured water with no sugar (as long as you check the teabags).

appreciate that May still not be a good substitute…

for fizz I drink dash water… fizzy water flavoured with fruit.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lorian said:
    I guess a lot must be considering re-formulating without Aspartame given all the recent news.
    This has always bothered me. Put a sugar tax on drinks to force them to use sweetners without any consideration for those who can't have sweetners and clearly without any evidence they are safer than sugar.
    We now have to pay a fortune to get any drink without the stuff! 
    Well technically they weren't forced to use sweeteners, just less sugar, they could use more fruit juice or reformulate to use less sugar and no sweetener and just have a less sweet drink.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 July 2023 at 2:41PM
    Options
    Having just made a few batches of elderflower cordial I was amazed to see the price in the supermarket- £4 for .5 litre. My labour & power were free (solar) & mine worked out @ 60 pence for half litre. Subtle difference!!
    Found bargain priced citric acid on line & that helps as a preservative.

It might be worth experimenting with some soft fruits to see if you can create your own blend of cordial.

Cold fruit tea is a great suggestion, cos you could make a big batch & store in the fridge.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,854 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2023 at 10:12AM
    Options
    Waitrose has an own brand high fruit content 'summer fruit' squash that doesn't contain artificial sweeteners. 

Personally, I can't abide the taste of aspartame, which has recently  been declared a potential carcinogen by the WHO (not exactly an unimpeachable source, I admit).

The decision by government to impose a sugar tax is yet another example of why governments should stay out of trying to control what people eat. Genuine science changes all the time as our knowledge develops and what looks like a good idea one day can become an act of dangerous stupidity the next. 
  • GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 8 July 2023 at 2:41PM
    Options
    According to the World Health Organisation, they have put aspartame in the lowest carcinogenic risk category of 2B, alongside aloe vera, dry cleaning, petrol, and as less carcinogenic than red meat, hot drinks, and working as a hairdresser.

Make sure you avoid all those too!

https://monographs.iarc.who.int/list-of-classifications/

• A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,854 Forumite
    Options
    GingerTim said:
    According to the World Health Organisation, they have put aspartame in the lowest carcinogenic risk category of 2B, alongside aloe vera, dry cleaning, petrol, and as less carcinogenic than red meat, hot drinks, and working as a hairdresser.

Well, I did say the WHO is 'not exactly am unimpeachable source'. In any case, even if it is entirely innocent as a carcinogen, the evidence suggests that artificial sweeteners are of little use in weight loss programmes: 
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/may/15/replacing-sugar-with-sweeteners-does-not-affect-weight-control-in-long-term-who-says

Interestingly, they also point to cardiovascular issues and diabetes associated with artificial swetenrs. 

IMHO they also taste disgusting and aspartame, in particular, can still be tasted hours after consumption. .

• housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,427 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A._Badger said:
    GingerTim said:

Well, I did say the WHO is 'not exactly am unimpeachable source'. In any case, even if it is entirely innocent as a carcinogen, the evidence suggests that artificial sweeteners are of little use in weight loss programmes: 
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/may/15/replacing-sugar-with-sweeteners-does-not-affect-weight-control-in-long-term-who-says

Interestingly, they also point to cardiovascular issues and diabetes associated with artificial swetenrs. 

IMHO they also taste disgusting and aspartame, in particular, can still be tasted hours after consumption. .

That's the one that gets me . No amount of teeth brushing gets rid of it. I will know within 10 mins if I have drunk something high in aspartame and I instantly regret it. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback