Joyful July's No Spend Days Challenge!

Options
cathybird
cathybird Posts: 13,336 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
edited 2 July 2023 at 2:33PM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
This challenge is all about helping people to save money by setting aside days every month where you deliberately don't spend unnecessary cash. Over the short term, it can help you have a more frugal month. Over the long term, if you stick with it, it can help change your mindset because you get out of the habit of frittering money away and start automatically holding off from spending instead. It also helps you delay purchases, which in turn means you lose interest in a lot of things you might otherwise impulse buy.
Another good thing with this challenge is we're all in it together, and people will help you on bad days and cheer you on on good days, and the support and accountability can really help make it easier to keep going with it. And if all else fails, there's always next month
To join, just post the number of no-spend days (NSDs) you're aiming for in July and you are on your way!
Tips for the challenge:
1. If you've never done the challenge before, it's probably simpler to start with a goal of 10 or (at most) 15.
2. It is fine to exclude necessary expenses eg petrol, groceries, pet food, etc, when it comes to deciding what is and isn't an NSD. It is also completely fine to exclude automated or recurring payments such as bills, mortgage or direct debits.
3. It does help to post every time you notch up an NSD, or at least every two or three days ... it's easy to lose track! If you want to keep track of your NSDs in your MSE signature, that can be really motivating too
4. It also helps to bookmark the thread, it's much easier to find.
5. NSDs are trickier than they seem and easily derailed. It can work better if you notch up as many days as you can in the first half of the month, or think of the month in thirds so if you're aiming for 10 NSDs, try to do 4 days in the first 10, 3 in the second and 3 in the third. And if you feel that you're falling behind, there's no shame in changing your target! Sometimes life just gets in the way, and the challenge should be fun, not a grind.

July

Off to a start = image
5 days =
10 days =
15 days =
20 days = Target reached = Target beaten =
In April I am taking a break from buying: Books

Comments

• cathybird
    edited 1 July 2023 at 3:18PM
    Options
    July targets
    beanielou 19
    cathybird 15 Crazycatlady2 18 GeorgianaCavendish 19 IndiJonesi 11 jammy dodger KajiKita 15 lianne1984 10 LittleMissDetermined 18 Makingabobor2 15 MrsCautious 12 mummy2threeboys mummyjane Optimistic Saver Pauper1 QueenJess Rupacomp 15 Saver-upper 15 short bird 18
    Newcomers welcome :)
  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm in again. Aiming for 15  this month please. 
    Making the debt go down and savings go up

LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £33,676

Mortgage 04/24  £17,400 Officially ends June '26 but plan to be MF sooner
    Total OPs 2022 - £240   2023 - £1766
    OPs so far in 2024 £581.00

Challenges

EF #68  £175/£1000
    1p a Day '24 #12  £76/£667.  SPC '24 #41 £13.75
    Christmas '24 £14. 

Make £5 a day - Apr £105.17£150            
    NSDs April 11/15

My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-down-the-savings-up

• lianne1984
    lianne1984 Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for the new thread  :)
    Good luck everyone!
    February NSDs: 0 / 10
    February PADs:  2 / 29
    February Groceries Challenge: £59 / £250
    February Make £5 a Day: £255 / £145
    Current Debt: £3159  | CC £1490 | N £571 | C £725 | E £373
    Weight Loss Challenge 2024: 0 lbs

• KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 3,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you for the shiny new thread cathybird.

Just to re-iterate, for newcomers, the rules really are your own. For many years, I always chose to exclude milk and bread (because my 4 children were little/growing, and they are 2 basics that I would hate running out of just to save an NSD.) The other spend I allowed was petrol/diesel, because saving an NSD by running out of fuel on the motorway is a bit silly really  :D )

Only in the last month or 2 have I started excluding public transport (son's student monthly ticket, and I have started using public transport more since Bristol introduced Clean Air Zone, which charges me £9 every time I drive through it  :o )

So it is perfectly ok to set your own rules, and change them to suit. The goal is simply to become more mindful of our spends. :)

Thank you for coming to my TED talk  :D
    I think this is spot on. What I tend to differentiate between, is discretionary spend and non-negotiable spend. So if I have a food delivery that = non-negotiable for me (happens every week, we need to eat, it’s budgeted for) but if I decide I want extras such as posh smoked tofu from the health food shop, unless it comes out of my monthly cash pocket money (set amount each month, once it’s gone it’s gone) then the transaction for that item counts as a spend and that is not an NSD for me. Basically unplanned / extra spends on my credit card are non-NSDs. 

What I have found, over time is I am no longer spending all of my cash allowance ‘pocket money’ each month (I will only withdraw £40 of the £100 I normally budget each month between the most recent and next payday) so I think my habits and attitudes around all spending is changing too. 

KK
    As at 17.03.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £255,571, end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £5,965, Interest saved £2,124, to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 13 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 9th April)
    Produce tracker: £22.24 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • QueenJess
    QueenJess Posts: 3,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Declaring a NSD today. Only real spend will be paying for a parcel to be sent, but as it’s a sale I made, it doesn’t count as I’m still up!
    2024 decluttering: 6,957 ⭐️🥉⭐️🏅🏅🥈⭐️🏅🥇🏅⭐️🏅
    April mini kitchen declutter challenge: 45/50
    2024 decluttering goals: 🥉3,000 🥈4,000 🥇5,000 💎12,000 🏆 20,000
  • MrsCautious
    MrsCautious Posts: 1,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello, I wasn’t around for June, but I’d love to join in for July please. Thanks so much for running the challenge. I’d like to aim for 12 NSDs. 
  • cathybird
    edited 2 July 2023 at 2:38PM
    Options
    July

Off to a start = image
    5 days = image
    10 days = image
    15 days = image
    20 days = image Target reached = image Target beaten = image
    July targets
    beanielou 19
    cathybird 1/15 image Crazycatlady2 18 GeorgianaCavendish 19 Crazycatlady2 18 IndiJonesi 11 jammy dodger KajiKita 1/15 image lianne1984 10 LittleMissDetermined 18 Makingabobor2 15 MrsCautious 12 mummy2threeboys mummyjane Optimistic Saver Pauper1 QueenJess 1/17 image Rupacomp 15 Saver-upper 15 short bird 18
    Newcomers welcome :)
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 3,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    1 today 😊

KK
    As at 17.03.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £255,571, end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £5,965, Interest saved £2,124, to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 13 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 9th April)
    Produce tracker: £22.24 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback