Charged twice (2 x £91.80) on the Trainline!

Options
RealGem
RealGem Posts: 569 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 27 June 2023 at 8:36PM in Public transport & cycling
Hi 

Today I had to book a last minute trip for tomorrow. 

To my horror I have been charged twice on the Trainline after I tried booking an off peak return that should have cost £91.80. 

But the page timed out and I had to start again. The timeout happens a lot because I am dyslexic and can;t rush but I have never been charged twice before. 

I am wondering if it is because I put a later train the second time I tried to book.

I know I should have checked the amount in PayPal (I assume that it had to doubled total there, but I didn;t notice it.)

Only now that I looked at the PayPal email did I notice the amount was for £185.59!

The phone number for Trainline in Paypal is out of date: 0333 202 2222. And that's the same one that they are advertising as their current phone numberall over the internet.

And all the other Trainline phone numbers are 0870 numbers and the local ones listed on SayNoTo0870 site are also no longer in use. 

I am on a very low income, and need that money back in my bank or I'll be in trouble next week. 

I have emailed the trainline at the email PayPal gave me to explain and ask for a refund. But will I be able to get a refund for the first trip that should not have gone through as it timed out?

And does anyone have a lo-call number for Trainline please?

Thank you
Look at it this way... In a hundred years who's gonna care?

Comments

• TSx
    TSx Posts: 852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Trainline are generally good with refunds. I have had a problem with their site before where the page said the payment wasn't successful but it had actually gone through so I rebooked and they cancelled it no problem.

0333 202 2222 is the correct number - I used it few weeks ago - it should be open from 8am to 10pm.

It's also worth knowing that if you book directly through train company websites, or other retailers, you can generally avoid the booking fee which Trainline charge.
  • RealGem
    RealGem Posts: 569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks I'm pleased to say I did get a full refund of £91.80 the next day from a very helpful person called Fayasal after emailing The Trainline. 
    Look at it this way... In a hundred years who's gonna care?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback