Asked to see train ticket but had only been to the Platform not on a train.

Options
2»

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Today I commuted to work from my village, the train terminates at the main station's mini platform. I got off walked across the bridge and back down and there as a group of staff checking tickets on the platform. I showed mine and posed this question to him, and asked if platform tickets were still sold. He didn't know but suggested if I was accompanying someone to the platform in future what I could do was let a member of staff know first. That way I'd be covered that I'd told someone.  I shall bare that in mind in future. I also thought I could also take a photo on my phone of the destination board which would show the date and the timings to show I'd been in the main bit not long before. 
  • rollingmoon
    rollingmoon Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Huddersfield is like that ISTR, as I went to a football match there and don't recall any barriers. Actually the beer was very good, I don't recall much... There's quite a few others I believe. Like others I haven't heard of platform tickets for years.

A few years ago I had a night out with friends at the pub you're referencing, which has a door onto one of the platforms. At the end of the night some of our party were travelling home by train (I was getting a lift), so we spilled out onto the platform and waved them off. As I and one other returned to the pub, a Northern jobsworth accosted us and asked to see our tickets. He wasn't happy with our explanation and demanded names and addresses. My companion told him to f*** off and marched back into the pub... I waited to see if he would follow, and for whatever reason he didn't - maybe some weird juristictional thing? -  and continued to ask for my details. Having seen his reaction to my mate's action I wished him a pleasant evening - I might hold him and his useless company in utter contempt, but I'm not rude - and stepped back over the threshold into the pub. And that was that.

• uberzoldat
    uberzoldat Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some train operating companies are now subject to some very strong ticketless travel targets set by government so it may be that there will be more of these 'revenue-protecting' checks going on where they weren't as enforced in the past.
    Sometimes I feel like a pelican. Whichever way I turn, I've still got an enormous bill in front of me.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was recently on a train from London to Aberdeen. The seat across from me was reserved from London to Edinburgh, and then again from Edinburgh to Dundee. A lady sat in the seat from London to Edinburgh. At Edinburgh a young man, possibly her son, came on the train, they exchanged some stuff and he left again with her staying where she was. After we left Edinburgh the conductor asked for Edinburgh tickets and she gave him a new ticket. 

I assumed she had a ticket, London to Edinburgh. Her son had a ticket Edinburgh to Dundee. He got access to the platform, they swapped tickets and he left the station using her London / Edinburgh ticket. My imagination didn't extend to working out why, but with split ticketing it may not have been any more expensive.  
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,871 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some train operating companies are now subject to some very strong ticketless travel targets set by government so it may be that there will be more of these 'revenue-protecting' checks going on where they weren't as enforced in the past.
    Earlier this year I got my first senior citizen railcard and have used it several times. Whenever the destination station has an automatic ticket barrier, the barrier is set to  lock and block my exit (shows orange light) and I have to wait for a staff member to let me through. I object to this. They don't actually bother to look at my railcard but I still have to wait until someone is available. 
  • Chris56000
    Chris56000 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 9 December 2023 at 9:40PM
    Options
    Some stations are "Compulsory Ticket Areas" where you have to have a valid travel ticket, pass or season ticket to be in the station premises, but where these apply the T.O.C. is obliged to erect a prominent notice in clearly visible wording stating so!

However, sometimes you can fall foul of rude or officious staff when you've done absolutely nothing wrong – I was once ordered out of Blackpool North Station by an extremely rude member of the station staff there, immediately I'd alighted from an arriving train, and I had an "Unlimited Travel" Rover ticket for that day, so even if Blackpool North was a "Compulsory Ticket Area" (I don't think it is!) station I had a valid day ticket that allowed me to be on any station within the area of its validity, and I was certainly not under the influence of alcohol, etc., at the time!

Next station jobsworth that does that will get his pic taken with a strongly worded letter of complaint to the T.O.C. in question!
  • nottsphil
    Options
    Are you sure you're not exaggerating? Blackpool North is a terminus, so therefore you would need another reason to be hanging around it as you state you had just got off an incoming train.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback