Discount on train tickets

Options
QuickQuestion0725
QuickQuestion0725 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 22 June 2023 at 8:59AM in Public transport & cycling

We all want cheaper train travel, and rail companies want to close the traditional ticket offices, to help make this happen GWR has an advertising campaign that states savings of over 50% on advance tickets.

The poster states

Book direct with GWR and save

Save over 50% on advance tickets and don’t pay booking fees when you book with GWR.com or on the GWR App.

Please have a look and let me know what bargains you find. I am struggling to find any true savings, but hope you have better luck.

Comments

• JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 June 2023 at 7:11PM
    Options
    I don't think the 50% off is exclusive to GWR.  The National Rail website suggests that
    • For a child aged 5 to 15, a discount of 50% applies to all Advance fares

• If you have a 16-17 Saver Railcard, you can get 50% off adult Standard class Advance fares

• If you have any National Railcard you can get 1/3 off Standard class Advance fares

• If you have a 16-25, 26-30, Senior, Two Together, HM Forces, Veterans or Disabled Persons Railcard, you can also get 1/3 off First Class Advance fare
    However... GWR don't charge a booking fee, unlike The Trainline.  I always book via GWR (partly because I love their train livery and because I'm a SW girl!)  AND, I agree that I can't spot an OVER 50% deal.... unless it's something like the Cornish Ranger which is £10 for Railcard holders....
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    London Paddington tomorrow single £196.90; Sept 1st £72.50
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • James_Londoner
    Options
    The saving doesn't arise from using the GWR site or app - the saving arises from buying tickets of the 'Advance' type.

You can equally buy these Advance tickets at a ticket office for the same price.

The reference to 'no booking fees' is to wean people off Trainline, who account for a huge proportion of all tickets sold and who levy a completely avoidable fee when buying ahead of the day of travel.
    testing 123
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure