Council tax appeal tribunal advice

Options
powerbarge
powerbarge Posts: 34 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi all

I moved into a new build property in September 2022. 
The council tax was higher than I was expecting (Band E rather than Band D that I had hoped) based on my research prior to moving for budgeting purposes.

I made an appeal and supplied 3 sample band D properties (which are almost identical size and design, same number of bedrooms, same detached garage, built on an earlier phase of the estate). These were rebuked as being "significantly smaller". After enquiring, it transpires that the valuation office have recorded the Reduce Covered Area of my property as significantly more than reality (12% more), which is supported by 3 sources - my mortgage valuation, physical measurements of my property, and the builder's scale plans I was given during purchase. My measurements confirm that my property is the same size as the others I gave.

A couple of questions

1 - Is it possible to view the data that the valuation office are using? I want to check their details for my other properties as the only place I have found online is Zoopla which is not really a reliable source to use as evidence
2 - Is this a good enough grounds for appeal?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What exactly do you mean by "data"? You already have the RCA and as this is in dispute the VOA would probably tell you the measurements they have used and if these disagree with yours they will no doubt remeasure. This and your home's accommodation are the only details the VOA hold apart from details of any sale which cannot be disclosed except when an appeal has been given a hearing date..

There is no legal obligation for the VOA to divulge any details of a dwelling to the CT payer, where the band is not in dispute.

If a CT payer believes the VOA hold inaccurate information about their home, then it is a basis for appeal.  
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • silverchoice
    Options
    Is it possible for a tribunal to increase the band?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it possible for a tribunal to increase the band?
    I think that if the evidence presented at the Hearing  indicated the band was too low, the VT would probably just dismiss the appeal and leave it to the VOA to consider raising the band.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback