Property prices

Options
Now that we’ve had a fairly significant bout of inflation, still going, although at a lower rate, mortgages have suddenly got quite a lot more expensive as well. 
Anyone got any evidence of how the property market is doing? 
“What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare

Comments

• qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The report on third quarter will be the illuminating one.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 July 2023 at 5:17PM
    Options
    Are you in the market to buy and / or sell?

I've never really seen much point in concerning my self with property values otherwise.

• Ticked
    Ticked Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    motorguy said:

I've never really seen much point in concerning my self with property values otherwise.

Now, there’s a sensible point of view. Does it matter what your home is worth if you’re not selling? Love it, keep it maintained and find its value if/when you’re moving on.
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 818 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ticked said:
    motorguy said:

Now, there’s a sensible point of view. Does it matter what your home is worth if you’re not selling? Love it, keep it maintained and find its value if/when you’re moving on.
    I'm remortgaging in about 16 months and if prices rise a little I'll end up at 60% LTV and able to get a better deal than if they tank. If they stay the sameish, I should be able to overpay enough to get me there. That's why I have a vague interest in property prices. I fear until my mortgage is fully paid off I'll always feel compelled to keep half an eye on what's going on and by then it may be habitual! 
  • motorguy
    Options
    Mnoee said:
    Ticked said:
    motorguy said:

I'm remortgaging in about 16 months and if prices rise a little I'll end up at 60% LTV and able to get a better deal than if they tank. If they stay the sameish, I should be able to overpay enough to get me there. That's why I have a vague interest in property prices. I fear until my mortgage is fully paid off I'll always feel compelled to keep half an eye on what's going on and by then it may be habitual! 
    Does that valuation number change?  (assuming you are staying with the same mortgage co).

We're with Halifax and that number has stayed the same in the 11 years since we built the house.

Not particularly an issue as our LTV is around 44% but just curious.

• Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 818 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    motorguy said:
    Mnoee said:
    Ticked said:
    motorguy said:

Does that valuation number change?  (assuming you are staying with the same mortgage co).

We're with Halifax and that number has stayed the same in the 11 years since we built the house.

Yeah, the value used to work out LTV should be the current value. No idea if you need to request a revaluation it you stay with the same lender or you plugged the wrong numbers in doing it yourself - I've never actually remortgaged yet, just read the handy MSE guide. 
  • motorguy
    Options
    Mnoee said:
    motorguy said:
    Mnoee said:
    Ticked said:
    motorguy said:

Yeah, the value used to work out LTV should be the current value. No idea if you need to request a revaluation it you stay with the same lender or you plugged the wrong numbers in doing it yourself - I've never actually remortgaged yet, just read the handy MSE guide. 
    Theres a static number in our online Halifax mortgage account that was set at the valuation at the time of building.

It doesnt change year on year.  As i said, not an issue really, just a curiosity.  Might be because it was a self build rather than say, a house in a development where prices can easier be tracked.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    Relevant if you’re thinking of buying, as I am.

I’m told a lot of builders are sitting on sites these days. Material costs have gone up so much and selling prices have slipped a bit recently. It doesn’t make sense to build and not make a decent profit.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure