Council tax band increasing and they want to backdate it
We've received a letter from the Scottish Assessors advising our property is increasing a council tax band due to an extension done by the previous owners over 20 years ago.
We accept the increase, while a bit annoyed. But our main issue is they're back dating the rate increase to when we purchased the property which was over 14 months ago.
If they come looking for this money in one go it will be around £700, which is a large sum for us right now due to other improvement works taking place on the property.
Is there any point in challenging this (the back dating, not the increase)? We feel it's a slight punishment back dating it so far because they we're slow to address this.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors
- All Categories
- 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
- 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 447.5K Spending & Discounts
- 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
- 600.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 171K Life & Family
- 243.9K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
- 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards