Friend borrowed money for van in OH's name

Options
System
System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
edited 16 June 2023 at 12:43PM in Debt-free wannabe
This discussion was created from comments split from: Struggling with debt? Ask a stepchange debt adviser a question.

Comments

• Myci85
    Myci85 Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    After some advice please, sorry its lengthy!

My OH agreed in 2015 to be a guarantor for a 'friend' to help him buy a van. His friend was bankrupt so my OH stupidly agreed for the payments etc to come from his bank, with his friend paying him. 

Fast forward to 2022, we're trying to improve his credit score to enable us to buy a house, and it's not great due to his friend stopping making payments for this van about 3 years ago, with multiple missed payments before that. When he told me about all of this, I pointed out he should never have been accepted as guarantor as he wasn't earning enough at the time. He tried to contact the finance company and they ignored him, so he took it to the financial ombudsman. We've gone as far as we can with them and they've decided that he should have known in 2015 it was not affordable and have complained sooner, and as 6 years have passed, they can't consider the complaint. This particular finance company I know has not won any of the complaints taken to the ombudsman on grounds of affordability checks (I've read through all the history on ombudsman site) as they have never been able to prove they lent responsibly, so I'm certain if it was within the 6 year timescale, my OH would have won. 

Now as the complaint went on, my OH had a hunch that the paperwork was changed at the time his friend took out the finance, and my OH was put down as the sole applicant. The final decision from the ombudsman has indeed confirmed he is shown as the sole applicant. My OH has no paperwork to check, and he is dyslexic so stupidly just signed the documents based on what they told him at the time. 

I want to know if he would have a case to take the finance company to court? I am 90% certain the company never did the affordability checks they should have done, and whilst I'm not sure how he could prove that he was told he was being guarantor, he had no driving licence until 4 years later, so I don't know how they could say the van was being financed for him?

Any advice would be gratefully received, as until we can sort this out, any hope of getting a mortgage is non existent.

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,917 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Already re-posted, duplicate thread. 

Apologies.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure