MSE Poll: How much do you pay each month for your mobile phone?

Options
Poll started 13 June 2023

There's plenty of choice when it comes to mobile phone packages – whether a contract, Sim-only or pay-as-you-go deal – and there can be huge differences in cost. This week, we want to know what type of mobile phone package you have, and how much you pay each month.

Click here to vote in the poll.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.
If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• jane59
    jane59 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm rather annoyed to be be honest.  I was on a sim only deal with Lebara for £5 per month.  For that I got free minutes, messages and 2mb of data - more than adequate for my needs.  Then Virgin Media took over O2 and in order to get a deal for the package I was on I had to take out a £25 sim which has now gone up to £29.00.  For that I get a ridiculous 256 gbs of data.  I am stuck.  In order to reduce my monthly phone bill I have to take a TV package that does not meet our needs!
  • henleygoldnet
    Options
    jane59 said:
    I'm rather annoyed to be be honest.  I was on a sim only deal with Lebara for £5 per month.  For that I got free minutes, messages and 2mb of data - more than adequate for my needs.  Then Virgin Media took over O2 and in order to get a deal for the package I was on I had to take out a £25 sim which has now gone up to £29.00.  For that I get a ridiculous 256 gbs of data.  I am stuck.  In order to reduce my monthly phone bill I have to take a TV package that does not meet our needs!
    I don’t understand what Virgin  and O2’s owners’ merger has to do with Lebara, whose sims and deals are unaffected. Do you mean you signed up for a Virgin TV and Broadband package that includes vastly more mobile data than you need? If so, nothing to do with the mobile deal then…
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    jane59 said:
    I don’t understand what Virgin  and O2’s owners’ merger has to do with Lebara, whose sims and deals are unaffected. Do you mean you signed up for a Virgin TV and Broadband package that includes vastly more mobile data than you need? If so, nothing to do with the mobile deal then…
    I think virgin are offering better cable deals to people signing up for an o2 sim only deal. The trouble is that the sim deal isn't appropriate to the customer's needs. But I guess it made the cable deal sound a lot more attractive. Could the poster have said "no thank you, I don't need a mobile contract"?
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's difficult to make sense of the results without understanding why people chose to pay what they did. Was it just a rolling contract they didn't end? Was it because they wanted more data and were happy to pay more? (example; my father has 6GB and pays around £5-£10 for this as well as free minutes and texts. However, I pay around £15 and get 100GB of data as well as unlimited free minutes and texts. I'm aware if I shopped enough I could probably get this lower, but I can only get a signal for EE in my area. I wonder how many are in a similar position to me...
  • jane59
    jane59 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jane59 said:
    I think virgin are offering better cable deals to people signing up for an o2 sim only deal. The trouble is that the sim deal isn't appropriate to the customer's needs. But I guess it made the cable deal sound a lot more attractive. Could the poster have said "no thank you, I don't need a mobile contract"?
    Tried to say no thank you but in order to have the TV package I wanted I had to accept the O2 deal
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I pay £1 a week for my mobile.  For that, I'm getting 160 minutes of calls, 200 texts and 610MB of data a week.  All with no contract.
    I don't know how long it will be before EE realises how good that deal is compared with any of their SIM-only contracts, and puts a stop to it.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • tastyfish
    tastyfish Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 June 2023 at 12:42PM
    Options
    I currently pay 1p a month with Lycamobile. Yes, 1p. SIM only, on an iPhone 12. For that I get 3GB and unlimited calls and texts. Suits me fine as I’m on wifi most of the time. Only for 6 months and then probably switch to something else.
  • DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I just upgraded my phone with EE and now paying £80 per month for 24 months. It is a 15pro that I have upgraded to but that is going from an 11. I get 125gb of data and unlimited texts and minutes. They also threw TNT sports in my deal and they also wiped the last 2 months of my previous contract.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback