We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help with identification - ash or rowan

Options
Hi, found this growing in a pot with my Xmas rose. It's as tall as me. No idea how it got here but maybe the birds brought it. Love the ferny looking leaves. Wondering whether to keep it and move it in the autumn once I get the conifer removed. It's in the ground now but in the wrong location. I quite fancy a rowan but an ash will probably get too big.

Comments

• ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    edited 5 June 2023 at 10:19PM
    Options
    The very jagged leaves would make me thing rowan, but I'm no expert on these things (more the exact opposite) :) 

I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    It's Rowan. Seed raised plants tend to be noticeably less good than named varieties, though.
    Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Rowan.  Birds eat the berries then 'deposit' the seeds.
  • Dreamscometrue
    Options
    Thanks all. It's a good tree for wildlife and here I have baby sparrows, baby blue tits and robins nesting against the house. I'm also lucky enough to have hedgehogs visit. It's very attractive so it's a keeper. Love the folklore behind it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback