Public Domain Publishing income

Options
I'm thinking of publishing some public domain books for Kindle. I know there are courses out there on this subject but I've no idea whether they're worth it. Has anyone gone down this route? Can you make an income? I know Amazon has very strict and detailed requirements for this kind of publishing but I would like some help to get started. I have published my own books for kindle. 
Don't mess with pensioners. :cool:

Comments

• EssexGirl
    EssexGirl Posts: 977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a look on this site. https://www.writersandartists.co.uk/ It's a great resource for info on getting published. The message boards can be very helpful. 
  • mrsyardbroom
    mrsyardbroom Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 June 2023 at 9:07PM
    Options
    Thank you. I had a look but Writers and Artists is really for people who write their own books and publish them. I'm looking at books that have gone into the public domain. They can be downloaded and resold for kindle but you need to do quite a lot of work in making your edition different from the  others. Amazon has all information you need but I don't know if you can make a profit from this kind of work. I looked at a course that promised the earth, but it cost a very great deal of money. (Thousands rather than hundreds.) It's not a scam but I suspect the people running the course make more money from that than they do from publishing any books. They were following the standard business model, ie run a recorded webinar, offer something for free, big the whole thing up with a lot of promises and pretend places are very limited. Finally tell people how much it costs.
    Don't mess with pensioners. :cool:
  • ju5tanam3
    Options
     but I suspect the people running the course make more money from that than they do from publishing any books.

This, it's the same with most money making courses and videos. you don't need to make it much different from the original, as long as you don't copy anyone else's work. sometimes you can add a different cover and that's it.
    make sure you check it is the public domain though, such as Beatrix Potter rights are owned by her publishing company and not in the public domain.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback