Paying NI while not working

How do I pay full year NI contributions while I'm not working and not entitled to any state benefits. I still need another 15 years of contributions to get full state pension.



  • pinnks
    pinnks Forumite Posts: 1,144
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Once you have established that you do indeed need that number of years, then you can just call HMRC each year and pay another year.  I am doing this and always paying just under 2 years in arrears to keep the money in my bank for as long as possible and to guard against paying years too early and then falling under a London omnibus or whatever...

  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Forumite Posts: 12,334
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Or you can set up a direct debit to pay for the current year in monthly installments  - jsut remember to cancel it when you've accumulated all the years you need
    Pay voluntary Class 3 National Insurance: Direct Debit - GOV.UK ( 
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards