Free travel in your birthday month - West of England

Options
Saver73
Saver73 Posts: 101 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 1 June 2023 at 12:39PM in Public transport & cycling
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-65690176 

Starts July 2023 and runs to 30 June 2024.

Website to apply doesn't appear to be live yet!

Comments

• annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,041 Forumite
    Options
    Comes just as WECA have cut lots of the bus routes in that area
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Saver73
    Options
    I think the money should be used to improve the existing services and reinstating buses in areas where they have been cut before encouraging more people to travel by bus but it has been reported that the money won't be used for that purpose.

I think it will make things worse, as in some areas in the west of England there are already more people than there are buses to travel on, this isn't a new problem, it has been that way for a long time.  

This is an opportunity for some bus travellers to save money for a month. I'm not sure it will encourage new travel once people have tried it for free and seen what is on offer if they travel regularly and pay for it!

• MilesT6060842
    MilesT6060842 Posts: 209 Forumite
    Options
    Saver73 said:
    I think the money should be used to improve the existing services and reinstating buses in areas where they have been cut before encouraging more people to travel by bus but it has been reported that the money won't be used for that purpose.

I think it will make things worse, as in some areas in the west of England there are already more people than there are buses to travel on, this isn't a new problem, it has been that way for a long time.  

This is an opportunity for some bus travellers to save money for a month. I'm not sure it will encourage new travel once people have tried it for free and seen what is on offer if they travel regularly and pay for it!

Agree--and that's aligned to expert advice, such as "Jarret Walker's Seven requirements for public transit" (look it up on  wikipedia).  Price/cost is only 1 of 7, to get a useful service and modal shift you need to think about all 7 holistically
  • Saver73
    Options
    @MilesT6060842 an interesting read!  :)

For the bus service I use, based on this, I'd rate as 1 out of 7, which relates to the cost. 

I think the price is fair at the moment but have concerns about the future price increases, though as you say all 7 points need to be considered.

The service fails on the other 6 points in my opinion, particularly reliability.

• Saver73
    Options
    The website is now live and accepting applications for travellers with birthdays in August.

https://www.birthdaybus.co.uk/register

Personally, I think the application form needs to be re-drafted to remove the irrelevant questions!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback