Avanti overcharging

Options
I just started to buy some tickets on the Avanti West Coast website, and noticed that the fares were unreasonably high. I had planned this journey in advance and so knew that exactly the same tickets, at exactly the same date and time, were priced lower on the National Rail site and offered for sale at the lower fare by Transport for Wales. (The actual train is operated by LNER.)

I have contacted Avanti via Facebook to request an explanation.

Comments

• HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have noticed that too.

On the train I  wanted to book  there was no advance (cheaper fare) on Avanti  but two other sites I tried both had the advance on sale.

Let's Be Careful Out There
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,784 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just started to buy some tickets on the Avanti West Coast website, and noticed that the fares were unreasonably high. I had planned this journey in advance and so knew that exactly the same tickets, at exactly the same date and time, were priced lower on the National Rail site and offered for sale at the lower fare by Transport for Wales. (The actual train is operated by LNER.)

If the train is operated by LNER then buy the ticket from LNER. Why are you even bothering going to the Avanti site?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,588 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    LNER moved to a new fare system a few weeks ago, they now only sell singles.  This may have been a reason for the difference across websites.
  • HillStreetBlues
    Options
    jon81uk said:
    If the train is operated by LNER then buy the ticket from LNER. Why are you even bothering going to the Avanti site?
    Can't speak for the OP  but I've used Avanti site for other train services as I'm registered with them, so can check out quick without needeing to enter all my details (name, address, phone number, e-mail  etc)
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • marmite1979
    marmite1979 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    jon81uk said:

Many reasons for doing so like Nectar points, ease of use or in some cases a different price.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback