Best Cook's Knives

Options
Can anyone offer advice on the best cook's knives. I have heard Sabatier are good, but I am new to the cooking game and they seem a bit expensive.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think it's a matter of preference: someone in this house objected to the number of veg peelers we have, but we couldn't throw any out because everyone has their favourite.

Personally I've always found Kitchen Devil knives very good and not expensive: I've had some of mine more than 20 years and it's only recently the handles have started falling apart. :( I wouldn't buy a whole set of anything expensive until I was sure I liked them.

Ah! Just found out that if you sign up to Which for a free online trial you can read their report on kitchen knives. http://trial.which.co.uk/house_and_home.php?p_id=154&roi=302945
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Firefly
    Firefly Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have a look for Global knives and then you will think Sabatier are really cheap!

A good knife depends on several things, what you want to use it for, how careful you will be at looking after it (e.g. dishwasher or sharpening) and how long you want it to last.

I have had my Victorinox knives for 25yrs+ and they are still first class and have just added a couple of Global knives to my collection and expect them to outlast me!
    Do not allow the risk of failure to stop you trying!
  • bugs
    bugs Posts: 185 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This month's Good Housekeeping has done a report on knives. I think Global, Victorinox and Mundial all did well, generally, and GH recommendations are relatively reliable unlike your average magazine that will recommend whatever came with the best freebie/whatever happened to be hanging around that day...

Can't remember how Sabatier showed up. Somewhere else on MSE someone has posted an offer on a set from them.
    It is not the greatness of a man's means that makes him independent, so much as the smallness of his wants. (William Cobbett)
  • bbruce
    bbruce Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Global are the best but sooo expensive. Because of that, there are some fakes about. Sorry I can't find the link to an article on how to spot one. Anyone?

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • Firefly
    Firefly Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://forum.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=fiddly;action=display;num=1097241769

I would just like to add that good quality knives are something that is worth spending money on.

Don't even think about buying Global knives from John Lewis unless you want to become a money wasting expert!
    Do not allow the risk of failure to stop you trying!
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd definately go for the sabatier knives for £20 - see link in firefly's post above. That's a bargain

here's the direct link
  • vzzbux
    vzzbux Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Wouldn't look past gloabl knives to be honest, buying cheap knives is a false economy, as they'll last a year or so, and not be very sharp.

As Firefly said good knives are worthing spending money on. Global have a lifetime gaurantee.

managed to snap one of mine trying to see if a frozrn block of stock was un frozen (It wasn't :-/), so sent it back to John Lewis who replaced it straight away no quams what so ever.

You really only need 3 or 4 to start with, and build up your collection over time.

I'm between houses at the momment and waiting for my new house to be built, so am in rented accom at the momment and really miss my knives which are packed away somwhere
    Red & White army
  • saint_3
    Options
    Victorinox Fibrox are excellent knives (very sharp) and are really well priced. Try https://www.cookware-uk.co.uk as the prices are very good.
    Mark Hughes' blue and white army
  • Lakeballs
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I decided to go for a Sabatier set from Argos - reduced by £10 in their latest sale. They will suit my purpose for now, and they are very comfortable to use. Could not afford the Global range.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure