Pension and Tax Question .

Options
Retired 3 years ago and immediately claimed my private pension and oap . I started paying income tax straight away .
My wife retired at 63 three years ago and claimed her private pension which was just over the tax allowance of 12.5k [ 13 k ]  and so paid a little bit of tax .
On april 29th this year she made 66 and so her oap was paid out on the 26th may . Private pension 13k and oap £815 every 4 weeks .
No more tax deducted from her private pension as expected .
Why .
Should she contact her private pension provider and tell them they should be deducting more tax .

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The pension provider will / can  only do as they are told by HMRC and HMRC only know about the SP when DWP tell them.  As it has only just come into payment it may take a while to get it all together.  Does she have access to her on line tax account as that should tell her what is going on.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No, it will be a waster of her (and the pension companies) time.

AIUI HMRC don't issue a revised tax code to include the State Pension until the State Pension has actually started, never in advance of that.

Assuming 29 April was the relevant date for her then sufficient time has elapsed for the new code to be issued so she should probably check her Personal Tax Account first in case anything has changed very recently and if not phone HMRC, with her State Pension award letter to hand.

8am sharp is best to avoid queues.
  • alfmurph
    alfmurph Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Never contacted them . Looks ike that was a big mistake .
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    alfmurph said:
    Never contacted them . Looks ike that was a big mistake .
    Well you could argue your wife has had a little win over HMRC.

Instead of paying the tax over 12 months from April 2023 she will probably end up paying it either in January 2025 or over 12 months from April 2025.

An unexpected interest free loan.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 May at 10:12PM
    Options
    HMRC will get to it eventually - but, in the meantime, your wife is racking up arrears in the region of £180 per month,
    I was in a similar situation, so a couple of months after SPA I rang them on 0300 200 3300.  Perhaps I was lucky, but I spoke to a very helpful lady who said that she could see my State pension notification and so was able to sort out my codes straight away.  
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    edited 6 May at 10:20PM
    Options
    HMRC will get to it eventually - but, in the meantime, your wife is racking up arrears in the region of £180 per month,
    I was in a similar situation, so a couple of months after SPA I rang them on 0300 200 3300.  Perhaps I was lucky, but I spoke to a very helpful lady who said that she could see my State pension notification and so was able to sort out my codes straight away.  
    Op has a new thread on the Benefits board and it seems to be resolved for the current tax year, just 2023-24 to be resolved I think.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6526343/tax-question-help-me-make-sense#latest
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback