Carbot Financial Investigation What to do next

Options

I am a single parent on benefits and make extra money through buying and selling items online, I had been with the HSBC bank for over 20 years having a normal current account with no overdraft as the bank had turned me down many times.

Back in 2018 I had sold quite a few items on different websites obviously getting paid in different methods, I received a cheque through the post addressed and payable to myself for £2,000. 

I took it into the HSBC and paid it into my bank account it takes 5 days to clear but the cheque then bounced, two days later, through the post I received another cheque exactly the same and again I paid into my account yet this time after the 5 days it cleared so I withdrew and spent the funds. 

A week later I received photo copies of both cheques and a letter from HSBC to say that both cheques had bounced and that I was now £2,000 overdrawn.

I then complained to HSBC telling them that they were the ones that cleared the cheque as that's what I thought there 5 day clearing was for and that they should be contacting the person/company where the cheque had come from in the first place. 

I later received a letter from HSBC stating that they were letting me know that they recently agreed to an unarranged overdraft for me, with the daily overdraft interest and fees and that the bank wasn't interested in looking elsewhere and said the debt was mine.

Lucky enough I already knew that as I was on benefits that also went into the same account, by law the bank has to let you withdraw your money over the counter even if you are overdrawn as this is your money for you to live on.

A couple of months later I opened up a new account as the HSBC was forwarding my details to a debt collection agency.

Now in 2023 I'm receiving letters from Carbot financial for the HSBC debt which I sent a prove the debts mine letter and last week received a reply to tell me they are now investigating the debt. 

Now I realise that this must have been a cheque scam although I did not get any messages regarding the cheque either so I'm still very confused by the whole thing.

Could anyone please give me some advice or help regarding this matter as I'm again not sure what to do next?

Comments

• spinningsheep
    spinningsheep Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not sure you have a leg to stand on here. Sorry to be blunt.

You are 100% liable for the debt, you withdrew the funds and spent them. It sounds as though HSBC have done subsequent checks, after initially clearing the cheque, and reversed the transaction, presumably after discovering that the person who wrote the cheque does not have the funds to cover it. There has only ever been one guarantee of payments by cheque. Back in the day when cheques were used as a method of payment in shops, the cheque guarantee limit on your debit card did just that, GUARANTEED payment of the cheque, even if the person who wrote it had insufficient funds, this is a long distant memory now. 

I think the only chance you MAY have had would have been to negotiate a payment plan with HSBC for the amount overdrawn, but it sounds as though they've lost patience and passed the debt to Cabot. You may be able to negotiate a payment plan with them, but this would undoubtedly result in a default or AP marker against your credit file. 

I appreciate this may have been down to a lapse in financial management or circumstances, but if I received a cheque for £2000 in payment for item(s) sold online I'd know what they were for and the name matched with the person who purchased the goods. If you have supplied goods and the cheque had bounced, did you make efforts to contact the buyer? I'm assuming you supplied the goods BEFORE payment was received and cleared. If so and you're a selling individual on likes of eBay, Etsy, why? 

From what I read, a significant amount have time has passed between the "sale" and the situation you find yourself in now, you could attempt to recover your monies via the small claims court, but sadly you may have to chalk this up to very bad luck and circumstance and aim to be more diligent in future. If you continue to sell items online, if knock cheques on the head as a method of payment going forward. 

CC limits £26000

Long term CC debt £0

Total low rate loan debt £3000

Almost debt free feeling, priceless.

Ex money nightmare, learnt from my mistakes and never going back there again, in control of my finances for the first time in my adult life and it feels amazing. 
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    When did the bank terminate the account?

What date shows as closed/defaulted on your credit report?

Cabot have bought this for a pittance and it sounds like it will soon go statute barred

A prove-it was the right thing to do
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,966 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 30 May 2023 at 7:42PM
    Options
    Cabot have bought this debt from HSBC for very little money, they may take a while "investigating" this, it depends how cooperative HSBC are with them.

The account default/termination date may be critical here.

See what Cabot come back to you with, and let us know when they do.

You may still have options even if they manage to prove the debt is yours.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • GreenGirl6
    Options
    Cabot have bought this debt from HSBC for very little money, they may take a while "investigating" this, it depends how cooperative HSBC are with them.

Thanks very much for your reply as I see that carbot financial have done a credit check on me last week but I have still not heard from them yet and HSBC closed my account in 2019 so its been 4 years?
    I'm also not sure what to do when carbot contact me again ?
    Any advice would be great 
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    See what they come back with and post it here
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,966 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 June 2023 at 11:40AM
    Options

Thanks very much for your reply as I see that carbot financial have done a credit check on me last week but I have still not heard from them yet and HSBC closed my account in 2019 so its been 4 years?
    I'm also not sure what to do when carbot contact me again ?
    Any advice would be great 
    Debts are not always chased straight away, Cabot may have been sat on this account for some time.

They buy in bulk you see, so can take time to get around to every account that`s acquired.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback