Electoral role and working away

Options
I've received a letter saying I've been removed from the electoral role. We own our property and it is our registered address but I'm away from home long term, been over 6 months, likely to be 2 years or more. my partner has a job working away and we are in accommodation provided by his employer. We still go back to our house to check on it but don't stay there as he only gets 1 day a week off. 
I've just completed an iva and have been doing everything I can to recover/improve my credit score, we have a small mortgage on the house in my partners name but want to add me to it, at the right time. 
Does anyone know what the rules are? I don't want to appeal if my circumstances are that's just how it is.
We can't register at the employers accommodation.

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I've received a letter saying I've been removed from the electoral role. We own our property and it is our registered address but I'm away from home long term, been over 6 months, likely to be 2 years or more. my partner has a job working away and we are in accommodation provided by his employer. We still go back to our house to check on it but don't stay there as he only gets 1 day a week off. 
    I've just completed an iva and have been doing everything I can to recover/improve my credit score, we have a small mortgage on the house in my partners name but want to add me to it, at the right time. 
    Does anyone know what the rules are? I don't want to appeal if my circumstances are that's just how it is.
    We can't register at the employers accommodation.

Why can't you register at the employer accommodation?  You register at the address you live at! 
  • twogloves_2
    Options
    We can't register at our accommodation as it is a static caravan/lodge so not classed as a permanent dwelling.
  • marcia_
    Options
    We can't register at our accommodation as it is a static caravan/lodge so not classed as a permanent dwelling.
     Does it have a postcode, can you receive mail there? 

If so you can register there 
  • twogloves_2
    Options
    No postcode, we receive mail via the office on site which is fine, my partner is the manager and its his office.
  • twogloves_2
    Options
    There is no actual address for our accommodation only the business address of the site where he works.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just register to vote online at your old house. Why should that be a problem, you will be paying council tax?
  • twogloves_2
    Options
    We were registered at our house and we pay council tax but have just received letters saying we have been removed from the electoral role as we are not living there
  • marcia_
    Options
    We were registered at our house and we pay council tax but have just received letters saying we have been removed from the electoral role as we are not living there
     I would ring or visit the registration officer and explain your living situation 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback