Success Stories - Pensions

Options
sho_me_da_money
sho_me_da_money Posts: 1,673 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
This is a bit of a light topic where the idea is to highlight what successes you had with your pension pots.

Example - 

I contributed X and accumulated Y by Z year. Total appreciation was 'x' percent.

Just trying to learn the following that could inspire a range of people - those with no pension, those who started late etc.

- Did you have any crazy years where your pot stalled and was not appreciating and all of a sudden it multi bagged e.g. after the 2008 financial crash.
- Did you do anything to change the acceleration/growth of your pot i.e. regularly changed your pension products/investment funds
- Did you start loading hard when markets were down at the time of the 2008 financial crash?
- Did you discover something later that you wish you'd known sooner?

Comments

• JamTomorrow
    JamTomorrow Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 May 2023 at 2:18PM
    Options
    A few stick out for me.

The first one was being lucky enough that early in my career my employer offered an employee match on pension contributions.  If I put in 4% they would add 8% and then if you were at 12%, they would also offer an additional 1 for 1 match for an extra 6% from employee and employer.  This was a no brainer for me, especially the extra 1 for 1 match but it amazed me how few people took this up.  I was only early 20s at the time but this set up a good discipline of making pension contributions and not becomeing accustomed to the extra standard of living if I had spent it instead.

Second one was around taking advantage of tax cliff edges.  This was first relevant for me after the child benefit change was introduced to erode the child benefit as you earned between £50k and £60k.  I was quite a bit above that when introduced but one year I felt I was behind on where I wanted to be in terms of my total pot and was also concerned on tax relief being reduced to a flat 30% or something similar.  Therefore I made a large one-off payment which took my taxable income to £50k and it was pretty sweet getting the child benefit for that into my pension rather than losing it completely.  I did make the mistake however with this one of making the payment out of taxed income/savings rather than salary sacrifice so I lost the 2% in NI.  Didn't make that mistake again.

Tax cliff edges are also relevant again now as with my income and an annual pension contribution of £40k (now upped to £60k) I could not get my income below ~£125k and was therefore getting the full hit of the 60% marginal rate when my PA is eroded.  My solution to this now is to put in £80k every other year which means my £80k pension contributions are made at a cost that is about £5k less for me (20% tax saving on the ~£25k of income that would otherwise have been taxed at 60%).

The latest one I am taking advantage of that frustrates me I never spotted or applied earlier is minimising NI through making my pension contributions through salary sacrifice in as few lumpy pension payments as possible.  As NI is calculated on period earnings (monthly for me) then by maxing my pension contribution in each month until I have reached my pension goal eliminates some NI at 12%, whereas a regular fixed monthly contribution was only reducing NI at 2%.  It means I am on minimum wage for a number of months but I top this up from savings.  I estimated this saves me somewhere between £500 and £1,000 per every 2 years contributing in this way rather than the way I always did. If i had done this from the start of my career I reckon it would have shaved another year off when work becomes optional; damn.

As my kids become adults and are likely to have the 9% drag to repay student loans I'd be interested in any tips on how people have managed this.  I fear they will face the nice to have problem in their late 20s or early 30s with a very high marginal rate of tax, with 40% income tax, 12% NI, 9% student loan repayment and loss of child benefit.  If any of my children have 3 kids and are earning £60k then they could have an effective marginal tax rate of 80% to 90% between £50k and £60k so i suspect that would be the best time for them to fully load pension for a few years, and therefore maybe neglect pension contributions until they hit that sweet spot.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,045 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I was meandering towards retirement, with a fairly decent DB FS scheme to look forward to but it was probably almost 10 years ago when I really got my head down to understand where we were and what we might actually want, and this site was fab.  I look back at some of my early posts, and boy was I green (just a little less green now).

The one major change I applied as the concepts for our plans solidified and I knew we had a decent chance of achieving an earlier R-Date than envisaged, was that about 5 (maybe 6) years ago I decided to sell down some ISA investments each year so as to supplement reduced salary income (HRT payer benefitting from SS) allowing me to sacrificing the max down to NMW.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • sho_me_da_money
    Options
    Awesome tacpot. 

Love that win and hope you are enjoying your retirement.

My story so far

I have a long thread on MSE where 2 years ago (age 40) i thought I had no pension pot. I later realised that I had a couple of them and consolidated them under one provider to produce a total pot of £30K. My goal was/is to retire as early as possible, which for me will be 57 years old.

.....so I started loading hard via my employers salary sacrifice scheme.

I am 42 years old next month and have a pension pot of £90K with an overall appreciation of approx 2% since starting. My biggest advantage (I think) was to load hard whilst the markets have been down due to COVID, Russia etc. My pot has gone from being in the red (minus) to flat (zero) appreciation over the past two years. This is the first month I have seen a positive of approx. 2%. As things slowly start to turn positive, I am hoping I see bigger gains in the forthcoming years.

Some of the things i did thanks to the advice of fellow MSE community members:

- Go from contributing £150 per month to contributing £2500 per month with a 5% contribution from my employer
    - Changed my default pension products/investments to higher risk equity funds
    - Went from three funds that focussed on EU, UK and USA to two higher risk funds that are focussed on USA and Emerging Markets

FYI, I have no wife or kids.
    I have a 80 grand mortgage left on a property worth around 300K.
    I have no savings to my name
    I can afford to pay my debts, bills and have around 500 quid of disposable cash left each month.

Logged into my pension today and make that £93,723.45 with a 2.83% gain since April 2021.

Let's see how this story unfolds.

• sho_me_da_money
    edited 24 May 2023 at 7:48AM
    Options
    My circumstances are as follows. I’m 47 years of age. I worked for about 10 years with a FTSE 100 company with a non contributory final salary pension scheme - nice! On reflection I probably shouldn’t have left them, however, I got a new job opportunity and 15 years later I am still there. Sadly the new job doesn’t have the non continuity pension lol!!

Well fast forward all those years and through all the twists and turns I have accumulated the following. 

My final salary pension scheme is working out that if I retire in 2041 at 67 then currently it will be worth £11.5k (increasing with rpi capped at 3% per annum). 

In 2008 I started contributing to my new stakeholder pension. My contributions were low enough at the start. Between my employer and I the contributions amounted to about £700 a month. By 2018 that amount had only increased per month to about £800 a month. 

Around Covid time I started to crank things up a little and upped my personal pension contributions and between myself and my company I started contributing about £1300 a month. About 2 years ago I made another big step change and increased my personal contributions so that my total contributions monthly were about £2250 a month where it has remained ever since. 

So in total the contributions to my pension from 2008 equate to £164k and the pension pot value as of today is £425k. So pretty good growth. To give that some reference in 2018 after 10 years I had contributed 82k and the pension was worth £164k. In the past 5 years I have added the same amount of contributions as I did in the first 10 years. So after 10yrs the growth was 100% on contribution. After 15 years the growth is 160% and the pot has grown by £260k in 5 years. I think the success of it is down to a number of factors some of which a lot of people in the investment world will disagree with, but have worked for me.

1. I monitor the performance of each of my funds (I have 6) on a weekly basis and have a massive spreadsheet that tracked the performance weekly and cumulatively over specific time periods. That allows me to analyse short term and long term performance.

2. I’m quite ruthless. If something isn’t working I tend to cut it and move on. I sometimes leave my existing money invested  there but stop contributing into it and ensure contributions are going into better performing funds. It’s a little like the frog analogy for me, stick it boiling water it jumps out, but stick in cold water and slowly boil it and it boils to death. That can happen when investing where people sleep walk into losses that only get bigger and bigger, now I have done it from time to time. But that only happens when I don’t track performance, when I don’t react, when I’m too sentimental and when I’m not ruthless enough. I’m massively better with this with my pension than I am with my ISA for some reason!! I can’t understand why (answers on a post card please).

3. I annually review the performance of all the funds (70 odd) within my pension wrapper to check I’m not missing anything that’s performing well or showing potential. 

4. I identified about 5yrs ago a couple of funds within my pension wrapper that were performing hugely better than others and I went all in. Probably not what was wise but it paid off. 

5. During and post Covid it was very clear to me that US funds bounced back much quicker and that’s where the money was going. So again like above, whilst not wise I went all in on a US fund that had always performed well for me and it paid off hugely, delivering great growth for me. I was getting something like £1k a week of growth for a couple of years. 

6. Luck - I de-risked at the right time after the market got too hot last summer, even then I still did get a bit burnt. I think from memory my fund value a year ago was about £450k so if you add in the fact I’m contributing about £27k per annum then the fund has dropped over £50k and at its worst that was closer to £75k. C’est la vie!

7. I’m slightly less obsessive about it all at the moment as the markets have been all over the place. But it’s started to grow again and I’ve clawed back £25k and oddly some of the capital protection funds that I went into are my worst performers so you just never really can tell what’s going to happen.

8. I’m no economist but I run businesses that are in the cold face of the economic world. We get hit before anything else, so I see spending patterns and it does allow me to see downturns happening before people or the world nearly wakens up to them. I’ve been doing this for 25yrs and track sales like I do funds and I can see the patterns and it allows me to make decisions around my investments that others may not see. 

I’m no expert but I do believe in form and I have years of info so can track the performance and can the trends better than just ignoring them. I think being cut throat, moving fast, contribution more where I can and being a bit ballsy at times have given me the growth I’ve achieved. 

Ultimately I’d probably like to retire or semi retire in the next 13yrs (good health allowing) when I’m about 60. I intend to maintain my contributions for that period and that alone will allow for another £350k to be invested.

So I hope to have a contributory pension pot of in excess of £1m assuming the world doesn’t have another melt down, which lets be honest is inevitable given the 10 to 12 yr cycle we seem to live in. I’ll also have my final salary pension and tbh if I semi-retire I may dip into it first as it doesn’t have any sibling or kids element built in so it dies with me. So, if I semi retire for 5yrs until my mid 60’s I may use it to top up my income and keep the big pot for later so I can try and pass as much of that onto my family when I finally pop my clogs!!  

Well that’s my story…so far ;-)

Thanks to this note, I decided to review the performance of the funds i was invested. I paid close attention to the numbers over the span of 5 years.

My investments were split as follows:

75% - L&G PMC HSBC Islamic Global Equity Index Fund 3
    25% - L&G MT Emerging Markets Index Fund

However, upon further inspection of the Emerging Markets Fund, the performance was pretty crap compared to all the other equity funds available to me.

I have now changed my allocations as follows:

50% - L&G PMC HSBC Islamic Global Equity Index Fund 3
    50% - L&G PMC World (ex UK) Equity Index Fund 3

These are the two top performing funds available to me.

Lets see how we get on.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure