Money Moral Dilemma: Should I report my colleague for not telling payroll he's been overpaid?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 345 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

A few years ago, I moved overseas for work and was given a €750 a month allowance. A few months after I got back I noticed it was still being paid, so I contacted payroll, who thought it had been stopped and asked me to pay back the €3,750 overpayment. Recently I had lunch with a colleague who moved back at the same time as me, who said his allowance eventually just stopped and he hadn't been asked to pay anything back. I feel like I've been punished for being honest, so should I ask payroll to look in to it, or is that just petty?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd mention to the colleague that they are being dishonest and that by not telling payroll they could be dismissed without warning if/when it's discovered.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, you haven't been punished at all. You've been honest and you can hold your head up high. As opposed to your dishonest colleague. He'll be found out soon enough. If it were me that's a conversation I wouldn't have had with anyone else, though. And is he even telling you the truth? His is not an example to follow, whatever.

You may have petty thoughts about what's happened but it's really not up to you to report him. Unless that does form part of your job description of course. 

Someone is bound to spot the error, sooner or later.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • grajay
    grajay Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Specific offence under the Theft Act of Dishonestly retaining a wrongful credit.
    Theft Act 1968 S24A
    Dishonestly retaining a wrongful credit.

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—
    (a) a wrongful credit has been made to an account kept by him or in respect of which he has any right or interest;
    (b) he knows or believes that the credit is wrongful; and
    (c)he dishonestly fails to take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to secure that the credit is cancelled.

(2 )References to a credit are to a credit of an amount of money.

• ripongrammargirl
    Options
    For bad things to flourish it only takes one good person to say nothing.
    Yes, tell payroll. I hate dishonesty. Those who do the right thing always get the short end of that sh**ty stick whilst the dishonest go through life getting everything handed to them without penalty…. Unless someone does the right thing and informs the relevant people. As far as I can see it is gross misconduct to carry on taking money that is not theirs. If someone did that with the DWP regarding benefits, it’s massive fraud and incurs all kind of punishments. Do the right thing and stop letting the lying, dishonest people get away with what they want.
  • Ed264
    Ed264 Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with the first contributor, Brie. 

There is no need for you to do anything more than that.
  • bradavon
    bradavon Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    Hi, you haven't been punished at all. You've been honest and you can hold your head up high.
    I'd say having to find nearly 4 grand you've probably spent is being punished. It wouldn't have been their responsibility to inform finance to stop the payments.

MalMonroe said:
    He'll be found out soon enough. If it were me that's a conversation I wouldn't have had with anyone else, though. And is he even telling you the truth? His is not an example to follow, whatever.
    I doubt very much it'll ever be discovered if someone doesn't say. Finance have no reason to be looking.
  • dazedandCONfused_3
    Options
    That’s between him and himself, seems strange he told you but I guess he thinks he can trust you? You certainly weren’t punished. You willingly and knowingly told them and they did the obvious thing by asking for it to be repaid. No punishment - just a choice you made, if it was because your morals demanded it at least.

It’s also possible you only told them because you were scared of the consequences if you said nothing and they picked up on it later. In which case, your colleague just had the greater risk appetite that you didn’t, which doesn’t say anything about anyone’s righteousness. 

The fact his just randomly stopped one day with no word about it makes me wonder if someone in payroll tried to just bury their mistake.

Also if you do get them to investigate, and they do find it and ask him to pay it back, it will probably be quite obvious that it was you who fed back the info he told you in confidence. 

It’s obviously up to you what you do, but I reckon it will come out by itself sooner or later, perhaps when the company has its audit. 
  • bradavon
    bradavon Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    I'd feel cheated for being honest. It wasn't your fault you were overpaid and I expect you had spent the money before you were asked to pay it back.

You don't know for sure he remembers the details right though and you won't be thanked for blabbing. You may have to put it down to life and move on.

You'd be well within your right to mention it though and morally you'd have a point. Just be sure you're okay with your colleague not speaking to you again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback