NHS Prescription Query

Options

Last week my GP (over the phone) prescribed a medication for a new condition and added it to my repeat prescription.

I went to the chemist just now to collect both the new medication and my usual meds.

I am exempt charges on my usual meds but I need to pay for this new item on the script which I am happy to do. However, the electronic signing pad wouldn’t accept both exemption and paying for an item.

The pharmacist got involved and said I could either pay for all items or have exemption for them all – not a mix and match!

She wouldn’t let me just take the exempt meds either as she said I have to take them all at the same time and would have to pay for them all, else the pharmacy would lose out?

So, I left the lot!

Has anyone else come up against this problem and how did you get around it?

Many thanks.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I've had a quick look on the NHS site and there's nothing I can see to suggest a medical exemption certificate doesn't cover all items.  I think all you can go is call your surgery on Tuesday. 
    Pharmacies do seem desperate to make money any way they can now.  I have an appointment at my surgery early next week, with the appointment only having been made on Friday afternoon (but that's another story).  I have to take a urine sample so called to the pharmacist to get one.  They charged a pound for it and have never charged before.  The pharmacy has just been taken over by a national chain which may have made a difference.
  • Gandalf644
    Gandalf644 Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 April 2023 at 3:31PM
    Options
    TELLIT01 said:
    I've had a quick look on the NHS site and there's nothing I can see to suggest a medical exemption certificate doesn't cover all items.  I think all you can go is call your surgery on Tuesday. 
    Pharmacies do seem desperate to make money any way they can now.  I have an appointment at my surgery early next week, with the appointment only having been made on Friday afternoon (but that's another story).  I have to take a urine sample so called to the pharmacist to get one.  They charged a pound for it and have never charged before.  The pharmacy has just been taken over by a national chain which may have made a difference.

Thanks,
    My exemption is a War Pension exemption which only covers meds for my accepted war pensionable injuries. Hence the need to pay for the one for a new different condition;

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback