Get 34% off a (digital) railcard Ambiguous

Options
Bedspring
Bedspring Posts: 8 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 13 November 2023 at 11:08AM in Code not found
The Get 34% of a (digital) Railcard at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets/#needtoknow-9 is a touch ambiguous.
It says "Railcards bought from TrainPal can only be used through the TrainPal app*, so you need a smartphone or tablet computer to take advantage of this offer (full info below)."

Which implies you have to buy through Train Pal, which is not correct, you can buy the ticket anywhere, you just have to use the Train Pal App to view the Railcard, but I would like to bet it is possible to migrate the card to The Railcard App, but not really necessary. 

Comments

• MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,184 Community Admin
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Options
    Hi Bedspring - Thanks for the feedback. The text below does say "you can use it to buy tickets from any ticket-booking site, not just TrainPal"
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • F8met
    F8met Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a note on this, you have to buy a ticket through the app before they will active the railcard. The ticket you buy isn't covered by the railcard but they do apply a discount code to the ticket. I bought a £3.10 ticket (my cheapest) which they applied a £1.00 off. That then unlocked the rail card which you can download and screen shot if you need to. In hindsight I should have just looked for a random cheap ticket somewhere in the country like Sheffield to Dore & Totley which is £1.80 for a weekend single.

Should really be mentioned that you have to make a purchase to activate the card.
  • tonybram22
    Options
    Just bought the railcard & then realised I had to buy a ticket to activate it which is disappointing but on reading tour post bought the £1.80 ticket you suggested. Thanks. 
  • WiggyToo
    WiggyToo Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought a refundable ticket for £2.40 then got the Railcard, then asked for a refund, seems to work.
  • hulkgti
    hulkgti Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does this still work? It is saying I need to book a hotel to get the deal??
  • thediscountcodes
    Options
    Does this still function? Has anyone checked recently?
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 November 2023 at 5:43AM
    Options
    Does this still function? Has anyone checked recently?
    No, it has expired.

If you click the link in the original post, you will see it is current train deals and not the expired one from 7 months ago. X

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets/?_ga=2.49461472.735916975.1692272109-781154677.1692272109&_gl=1*b2bm5s*_ga*NzgxMTU0Njc3LjE2OTIyNzIxMDk.*_ga_X74CWQS9F0*MTY5OTY3NjkzNC40MS4xLjE2OTk2Nzc3NTQuNDQuMC4w#needtoknow-9
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback