🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Ex-Wifes bankrupcy

Options
Me & my ex-wife separated in 2002, after which she accumulated a large level of debt (in her name only). We had a joint mortgage which I continued to pay while she left the marrital home.
In 2004 she came back for my help. I helped her sort out her finances, we sold our house, and as she wasn't working at the time the CAB recommended she declare herself bankrupt. She gave them her share of the equity from our house, and her bankrupcy came through in mid-2004. We tried to fix our relationship but this failed so we finally separated in early 2005. After waiting the 2 years our divorce came through in 2006.

I am now looking to buy a house with my new partner and want to know whether my ex-wife's credit history will affect me. All of her debt was in her name only and we were separated at the time.
Can you help?

Comments

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No it shouldn't affect you at all if it was all in her name. Though the house was joint names so that might be a hic-up. If I were you I would check the 3 credit refrence agencies and see if the are any problems.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Hi thornski,

Tigerfeet is correct in that the CRA's may still be showing you as having been "associated" and this could cause a problem. If you apply for your CRF's this will be conclusive, and if you are still associated then you'll need to contact them.

They're quite reasonable to deal with, and shouldn't need anything more than confirmation that the house was sold and possibly a copy of your divorce papers.

Richard
  • tigerfeet2006
    Options
    BSCno.87
  • thornski78
    Options
    Thanks for your help!
    I checked with Experian approx 2 months ago & there was nothing showing with them. But also no mention of an 'association'.
    Will get in touch with otehr CRA's to double-check.

When you say I should contact them, do you mean to remove the 'association'?
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    thornski78 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help!
    I checked with Experian approx 2 months ago & there was nothing showing with them. But also no mention of an 'association'.
    Will get in touch with otehr CRA's to double-check.

When you say I should contact them, do you mean to remove the 'association'?

Hi thornski,

Yes, but only if one of them is still showing an association. You have to apply for your CRA's because I'm fairly certain they won't discuss anything over the phone until you can give them a reference number on the report; it's the data protection cop-out.

If it doesn't show an association then there isn't one. Experian and Equifax show any associations at the beginning of the report.

Richard
  • tigerfeet2006
    Options
    Yep! just a letter (sent recorded delivery) with details of your divorce with possibly copies of details of your divorce and house sale and ask them to remove any details of association if there is any.
    BSCno.87
  • thornski78
    Options
    Great, I'll get straight onto them!
    Thanks a lot
  • squirrel_pigeon
    Options
    Yep! just a letter (sent recorded delivery) with details of your divorce with possibly copies of details of your divorce and house sale and ask them to remove any details of association if there is any.

I don't think you even have to provide that much information. My Mum wrote to them to tell them that she had divorced my Dad and giving the court details and they removed the association based on that info alone.
    All comments made and advice given are my own opinions and do not represent the views or advice of any debt advice organisation.

Current balance: approx £17500 including Tax Credit Overpayment :cry:

Estimated DFD: never - deficit budget. Cheers HMRC! :mad:

Another year over and we're still together. It's not always easy, but I'm here forever
  • tigerfeet2006
    Options
    :j Don't you just love this place? There is always someone around who has had experiance of it or knows someone. Cheers SP.
    BSCno.87
  • squirrel_pigeon
    Options
    It's great, isn't it?
    All comments made and advice given are my own opinions and do not represent the views or advice of any debt advice organisation.

Current balance: approx £17500 including Tax Credit Overpayment :cry:

Estimated DFD: never - deficit budget. Cheers HMRC! :mad:

Another year over and we're still together. It's not always easy, but I'm here forever
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport