When should properties be reassessed for council tax banding after having extensions built?

There is a house on my street that is band C.  It was extended about 10-15 years ago in 2 phases to provide a 2 storey full length extension to the side. Now has 4 beds, 2 bath, extended kitchen and new sitting room.  All done with full planning permission.

All the houses in the street were built at the same time, 1970/1971, and all but one have similar extensions mostly built during the 1970s and 1980s.  The one that is still the original size is banded C, the others are D.  There is nothing unusual or special about the other C banded property, and all the plots are a similar size, so I assume its banding simply reflects that it hasn't been extended.

It seems unfair to me that the most recently extended property is still paying band C rates.  I thought a new band was supposed to be charged when the property changed ownership but this doesn't seem to have happened. 

I contacted my LA to query this and was told they wouldn't even investigate because I wasn't the owner. Obviously the new owners aren't going to ask for a review that is likely to result in them paying more.

And on a related matter.  If an extension does not require full planning permission, ie done under permitted development rights, this presumably would never be flagged up for band revision. 

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,543
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    CT legislation does not allow a CT band to be increased on account of post 1 April 1993 alterations carried out by the current owner. The band can be reviewed following a change of ownership, but according to some posts/threads on this board, it can take as long as 3 years for this to happen.

Although not all extensions require pp, they do require Building Regs approval. You could contact the VOA directly and inform them that the house has had alterations and a change of ownership but no band increase. 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,376
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    6 months ago we moved into a house that had a large extension built some years previously.. took about three months after the change of ownership for us to get a letter from the VOA notifying us of a reassessment and that the property had gone up a band.
  • littleivy
    littleivy Posts: 26
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My property is band B , the house had an extra bedroom and bathroom built over the top of a car port in the1980's , it is a semi-detached and next door is band A. Another semi-detached house with the same extension as us is also band B while every other house on the street is band A. 
    I would love to challenge this , but scared they will put it up to band C lol 
      perfect love casts out all fear
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,543
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    littleivy said:
    My property is band B , the house had an extra bedroom and bathroom built over the top of a car port in the1980's , it is a semi-detached and next door is band A. Another semi-detached house with the same extension as us is also band B while every other house on the street is band A. 
    I would love to challenge this , but scared they will put it up to band C lol 
    If the other similarly extended house is Band B and unextended houses are Band A, then Band B sounds correct
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback