Worrying about my credit card debt affecting a new mortgage deal

Options
I have quite a while before my current mortgage deal expires, but I am already worrying about how my credit card debt will affect a new deal. When I took out the mortgage i had the credit card debt but over the last few years it has grown a lot and I am really worried that this will have a massive affect on my mortgage future. My current mortgage is with Halifax and I am thinking that due to the credit cards it would be easier to stay with them than to change mortgage provider. Am i worrying about this too much?

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You can switch products with halifax assuming payments are up to date etc.

The credit card may or may not be an issue with other lenders. But dont lose any sleep over it, worst case scenario you have Halifax.

I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dougson
    dougson Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm in a very similar position. 

I'm with Halifax and my fixed term finishes on 30th Sept. Had very little, or possibly no credit card debt when i took this out and it's now ball park 11k, plus frequently overdrawn.

Additionally I tried to fix for longer when interest rates started to spiral last year c. 2%. I was told them that the ERC going on to the mortgage meant I needed to undergo affordability checks which I failed due to the credit card debt (was around 3k at this time).

Naturally I was pretty concerned that my credit card levels being so much higher was going to make it almost impossible for me. 

Halifax have approved a product transfer for me, fairly automatically (no credit check etc). As a FYI I also did a balance transfer on to their card on 17 months at 0%

Haven't missed a payment (mortgage or credit card) but not sure this was even factored in, essentially it was pre-approved. I didn't bother shopping around as was a bit spooked by the previous affordability fail. Managed to lock in 4.11% over 5 years (with scope to change if this comes down). 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback