Post office wrong receipt!

Options
adeo
adeo Posts: 107 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 1 April 2023 at 12:56AM in England
My local post office when I send birthday card to Canada gives receipt for cash withdrawal they ask me to insert debit card into card reader and enter pin! when I ask why they give incorrect receipt  they make up excuses eg system error but are reluctant to give correct receipt for postage transaction. Anyone else has this happen to you? Should I be worried and report it to post office head office?
Btw I didn't have cash on me to pay for transaction!

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Not sure what's wrong from what you've posted. You've chosen a standard international letter - that doesn't come with tracking as standard. You have a receipt there for paying for a standard international letter at £2.55. You said you had no cash - and so paid by card - that shows you've withdrawn from your card to pay the amount due. It would be standard to put your card in and enter your pin for a withdrawal of the exact amount of cash to pay the postage fee. It's not like a contactless payment in Tesco buying a loaf of bread. The Post Office allow you to withdraw the exact amount of cash from your bank via your card to pay for postage. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • adeo
    edited 1 April 2023 at 1:29AM
    Options
    Okay I understand that. Sometimes I pay using Google pay via mobile phone, receipt for that doesn't say cash withdrawal, just usual paid postage receipt. Just seems odd to me 🤔 second part of receipt showing cash withdrawal. Will check bank statement later and update.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I’m sorry but I don’t understand the issue? As far as the PO is concerned you withdraw cash to pay for postage, what am I missing? 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • adeo
    Options
    soolin said:
    I’m sorry but I don’t understand the issue? As far as the PO is concerned you withdraw cash to pay for postage, what am I missing? 
    only in last 9 months have been given receipt for cash withdrawals, always use too be shown postage transaction before but recently when paying for postage on a card to Canada using debit card. If use Google pay via mobile phone receipt showing for postage not for cash withdrawal! Just seems odd to me paying for postage but received receipt for cash withdrawal 🤔
  • cymruchris
    Options
    adeo said:
    Okay I understand that. Sometimes I pay using Google pay via mobile phone, receipt for that doesn't say cash withdrawal, just usual paid postage receipt. Just seems odd to me 🤔 second part of receipt showing cash withdrawal. Will check bank statement later and update.
    It's an accurate receipt of the events that happened.

On this visit your total was £2.55 for a letter. 

You then used your physical card inserted into the pinpad and entered your pin to withdraw exactly £2.55 from your account to make payment. 

The Post Office seems to do this as standard with physical debit cards - I remember wanting to get some currency a while ago - and said I needed to withdraw cash from my current account to pay for it. They actually calculated the cost of exactly the currency I was buying to the penny, and then let me withdraw that exact amount at the same time as paying for the currency, all showing on one receipt.

Your receipt looks completely normal for a chip and pin card transaction payment for a letter. No need to report it to anyone, find bank statements (other than just checking it's debited as it usually would) or go hunting for old receipts. The only reason it would look different, is if you'd paid for a 'tracking' service, whereby you'd get the details of the tracking number too. 

An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The oddity is recording it as a cash withdrawal and a payment together - rather than just "Paid with debit card".  The clerk didn't give OP physical cash and then take it back...Might just be the way the PO systems are set up.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • cymruchris
    Options
    NBLondon said:
    The oddity is recording it as a cash withdrawal and a payment together - rather than just "Paid with debit card".  The clerk didn't give OP physical cash and then take it back...Might just be the way the PO systems are set up.

Yes - that's how they do it. The 'withdrawal' doesn't get physically handed to the customer and then back again. They just 'withdraw' the amount needed to pay the balance and all the money stays in the drawer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback