Remortgaging and self managed DMP

Options
Hi everyone smile

I have posted on the Debt forum but was advised to post on here.

Hoping for a bit of advice. We are looking to remortgage as we are with The One Account and the interest seems to be going up every month!! We had a DMP back in October 2014 originally with StepChange then went self managed about 3 years ago which is all going really well.

My concern is that when the mortgage company asks for the past 3 months' bank statements it is going to show all the payments to the creditors (we have 8 in total paying £5 per month) even though the defaults have all dropped off our credit files and our credit scores are now excellent. 

Is there anything we can do?? I just feel that this DMP is still haunting us way down the line and will continue to affect our chance of securing a better interest rate with another mortgage provider.

Many thanks for reading :)

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,765 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 31 March 2023 at 5:32PM
    Options
    From a mortgage perspective, its treated the same as an arrangement to pay. I spent days looking into this once and nobody had ever heard of a self managed DMP (lenders, brokers etc). 

I dont know why CAB started to call it a self managed DMP, it just makes things worse for people. 

Depending on your credit report, the lenders involved and a few other things, you might be looking at normal rates. Get your credit report over to a broker. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback