Matched Betting to Reduce Your Mortgage

Options
2»

Comments

• lifebegins
    Options
    I'm the new apprentice!

Thanks to Tim_L for the offer and OnceBitten for starting the thread: I'd never heard of this idea until now.

This really will be "Matched betting for dummies" as I've never placed a bet in my life, and don't have a clue about sport. If it works for me, I'm sure it can work for anyone!

It's certainly a different approach to reducing the mortgage (hopefully!).

I'll chart my progress on the "Lifebegins' MFW matched betting diary": here goes.....
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,552 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tim very kindly let me be part of this too and I have just placed my first bets. Will track it all on my diary MFi3 and before I am 40.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• James240
    James240 Posts: 16,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    just to say guys i started matched betting in November 2006 and ive made the a fair few thousand (my signature shows ow much ive made :) ) It is well worth taking up because as Tim_L says the sky really is the limit as there are so many bookmakers out there offering freebets :D

Good luck to all those that are just starting out and to any one else thinking of doing it read the matched betting guides thouroughly and you wont go wrong :)

James :)
    Savings Total so far for 2023: £8,062.58
  • TallGirl
    Options
    Well done James that is an amzing amount of money. I think I still struggle a bit at the moment to see the bigger picture but hopefully when my bets are settled this afternoon it will become clearer. Off to the footie now.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• lifebegins
    Options
    It's really inspiring to see your signature, James. It shows what can be done! I'll hopefully do my first MB next week, but I'll be pleased if I make a fraction of what you have over the year.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Great news, I'm really pleased this is going to go ahead - altho I've already just started, and its going well (just signed up to my 2nd bookie today) I'm not so secure with it that I don't want to go through the basics with someone like TimL again. I'll be watching all the threads really closely - and taking part too, if its okay.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • TallGirl
    Options
    Well my first bets are now settled and all fine. I made a profit of £23.46 and then I should get some cashback from Quidco hopefully the full £50. It has been a bit of a rollorcoaster and without Tim and the lovely people on the board it would have been harder. Coral would not let me sign up as I have a Gala Bingo account but that got sorted by changing the address slightly. Then once my bets were in Coral suspended my account as they could not verify it. That then eventually got sorted and my money is safe. I really want to have another go but will restrain myself for now. Good luck to everyone who decided to have a go.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure