Mortgage lender permission for building works

Options
Hi everyone, 

I bought a three-bed terraced house in London about 6 months ago. Lender for the mortgage is Halifax. It's a bit of a fixer-upper but has good bones and Halifax valued it at over the price I bought it. 

I am just about to start building works to add a loft and rear extension to the property. I got all my permissions, etc. but I realised I need to inform Halifax, as well. I sent them a letter with my plans, but just crossing my fingers now that they don't prolong this any further or make it difficult. We are adding more space, including an additional bedroom, so the security - i.e. the house - from their perspective should only increase in value. 

For those that have done this before with Halifax or any other lender, do they ask you for more details beyond your plans and timeframe for works? Thanks! 

Comments

• 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi everyone, 

I bought a three-bed terraced house in London about 6 months ago. Lender for the mortgage is Halifax. It's a bit of a fixer-upper but has good bones and Halifax valued it at over the price I bought it. 

I am just about to start building works to add a loft and rear extension to the property. I got all my permissions, etc. but I realised I need to inform Halifax, as well. I sent them a letter with my plans, but just crossing my fingers now that they don't prolong this any further or make it difficult. We are adding more space, including an additional bedroom, so the security - i.e. the house - from their perspective should only increase in value. 

For those that have done this before with Halifax or any other lender, do they ask you for more details beyond your plans and timeframe for works? Thanks! 
    Have you obtain insurance whilst you carry out building work as most standard house policy don't 
  • Ljenkins2006
    Options
    35har1old said:
    Hi everyone, 

Have you obtain insurance whilst you carry out building work as most standard house policy don't 
    of course - I have a policy that covers the house during the renovation and my builders have the requisite policies, as well. 

Just trying to understand what to expect from the lender now that I have asked their permission to do these works. Do they normally withhold permission? 
  • JMA74
    JMA74 Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    People don't normally ask in the first place to be fair so I'd assume not many people will be able to answer your question 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser 
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback