Can I get a new job whilst on sick leave?

Options
As per the question, I was wondering where I stand in my current situation. 

Following my maternity leave I was unable to return to work, having been signed off by a doctor. 

Fast forwarding to now and following advice from my workplace and occupational health, I am now trying to get things in place for my return to work. I have recently submitted a flexible working request, as I am unable to return full time. I have since found out that my flexible working request has been denied, and I have been offered alternative hours which unfortunately, are financially impossible due to childcare etc. 

I am now confused as to what I can do in this situation. I never intended to leave my current workplace, but I have no choice if they are unable to facilitate my requested hours. Can I apply for other jobs whilst I am on sick leave? Will this hinder my chances with other employers if I do? Is it best to be open with other employers about my situation? 

Comments

• General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Of course you can apply for other jobs.  You are a hired hand, not a slave.  That is the case whether or not you are on sick leave.

How another employer would judge your application?  Well, if it is because they can offer the flexibility not possible with your current employer, then that is why you are applying so that is straightforward.  However what is the reason for your sickness absence?  Is it something which is likely to recur and affect your ability to carry out duties in a new role?

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes you can apply for other jobs whenever you want.

You should absolutely be open with potential employers about what hours you are looking for / could do - for instance, applying for full time roles if you can't work full time means that you are wasting their, and your time (you can send an application mentioning you are looking for part time hours so they can consider if they might be open to that, but don't apply then raise it at or after the interview!) 

You don't have to tell them about your health issues but be aware that any reference from your current employer may include information about sick leave. If they amount to a disability and you will be asking for reasonable adjustments then you don't normally raise those in your application (unless they are needed for any interview) 

Other than that, you can explain that your employers are not able to accommodate part time hours for you following maternity leave. If you are applying for part time roles that should be an issue.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would a potential employer think you’re not ‘genuinely sick’ but simply away from work because your present employers have denied your flexible working request? 
  • Sunflowershine
    Options
    Of course you can apply for other jobs.  You are a hired hand, not a slave.  That is the case whether or not you are on sick leave.

How another employer would judge your application?  Well, if it is because they can offer the flexibility not possible with your current employer, then that is why you are applying so that is straightforward.  However what is the reason for your sickness absence?  Is it something which is likely to recur and affect your ability to carry out duties in a new role?

My sickness has been down to PND, following the birth of my child. I am now in a position where I’m feeling ready to return to work, on reduced hours. 

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t going to get myself into any trouble by looking for another job, whilst being signed off from my current one, if that makes sense? 

• Wonka_2
    Wonka_2 Posts: 651 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    @Sunflowershine - can you elaborate pls ? Are occupational health suggesting you can return to work but only on limited hours/flexible working or are they saying when the 'sickness' is over you can return full time but you don't want to/aren't able to for childcare reasons ?

If the former then there needs to be some discussion between them and your management to facilitate, if the latter then it seems your employer has put their cards on the table and it's time for you to compromise/accept their offer or look elsewhere 

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    baser999 said:
    Would a potential employer think you’re not ‘genuinely sick’ but simply away from work because your present employers have denied your flexible working request? 
    Possibly, however the time/effort required to do an interview by Teams is notably different to going into the office for 8 hours a day every day.
  • Sunflowershine
    Options
    baser999 said:
    I’m not sure? My main concern was what my chances of getting a new job are, whilst currently on sick leave, as it obviously isn’t the most desirable thing to come across when doing checks etc.

For reference, my flexible working request has only been put in recently. Therefore, I got told it had been declined whilst already being on sick leave, not beforehand. 
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

My sickness has been down to PND, following the birth of my child. I am now in a position where I’m feeling ready to return to work, on reduced hours. 

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t going to get myself into any trouble by looking for another job, whilst being signed off from my current one, if that makes sense? 

You are absolutely not going to get yourself into trouble just by looking for/applying for/obtaining other work, whether that be while you are signed off work or not.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Employer have to consider all requests for reduced hours or flexible working but do not have to agree to it if it may have a negative impact on the running of the business.  Many people do seem to think/believe that employers must agree to flexible working requests.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback