Options
2»

Comments

• Altior
    Altior Posts: 659 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you lost your sense of smell, op? 

It's almost implausible to open 'fresh' meat that is 2 weeks past the use by date, without knowing immediately. You would almost be vomiting from the stench alone. It would be so grim. 

I did have an uber eats McD breakfast in the past, I was vomiting everything including blood within five minutes of eating it, my head was nearly exploding and all the capillaries on my face went bright red. I thought at one point I would be seeing my stomach. Evidently, something in it was very very off, but luckily my body 'rejected' it immediately, and within half and hour I was almost back to normal (after chugging my entire guts up). My face didn't go back to normal until the afternoon. 

Essentially, it is possible to eat something that off when cooked, but it seems highly unlikely if it is raw and needs to be cooked (opened) from scratch. Both visually, and the smell, would be awful. 

Do you have a picture of the packaging?
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,245 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't buy from them again.
    Having said that, is the food delivered chilled?
  • Kurenka
    Kurenka Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not lost my sense of smell, though admittedly it has never been great. Nothing looked or smelled off with the meat, certainly nothing obvious (packaging pic attached below).

It arrived in a cool bag with 2-3 ice packs in it usually. Ice packs were only partially melted and meat was still chilled when delivered.

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,339 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Altior said:
    It's almost implausible to open 'fresh' meat that is 2 weeks past the use by date, without knowing immediately. You would almost be vomiting from the stench alone. It would be so grim.

It doesn't seem implausible to me. The use by dates are always on the cautious side - it will be good until the 10th, not it will be bad on the 11th.   I have opened meat a week past date and decided it was OK to cook and eat (though solid bits, I am a bit more circumspect with mince).
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    Options
    Kurenka said:
    Hi all,
    I realise a similar question has been asked before but it was over 10 years ago from what I could see on a quick Google search and these things change!
    I'm currently recovering from a very bad bout food poisoning after Green Chef send me a bo, which included some pork mince 11 days past its best before (on the date of delivery, and was 14 days past when consumed).
    Yes, 100% I should have checked the packaging. But it isn't the first time I've bought from them (I do so every 4-6 weeks as a little treat to myself) and they advertise themselves as "food fresher than you can get at the supermarket".
    To their credit, I contacted their Customer Service yesterday evening and I woke up to an email this morning informing me that a refund of the whole box was on its way to me.
    Sadly though I had some big plans this weekend. I was supposed to travel a long way for a family reunion following a bereavement late last year, where because of the location of the funeral and how wide spread we all are we couldn't all get there.
    So I've lost money on a hotel, but also probably the last chance to see family members all together as sadly with the ages of my family the next reason for a gathering is likely to be another funeral rather than something like a wedding.

Just wandering if I could pursue them for any more compensation or if fault is with me for not checking the date!
    I'm not sure what exactly your rights are with respect to consequential losses but selling food after its use by date is a very serious offence for a food business and I'm sure they probably don't want their local EHO sniffing around too much so I think if you politely but assertively enquire further on the matter there might well be a good chance that they offer you something to keep you sweet. 

Selling food past its use by date is considered a criminal offence and there are some pretty harsh potentially penalties including jail time. 
  • Altior
    Options
    If this is correct, it's entirely feasible that you were not the only customer impacted. 

My approach would be to get on the chat, and politely state that you would like a call back from a senior person within the support team in regard to this situation. Don't overtly push for compensation, but explain that you have strong concern that other customers may be unwittingly affected, and you don't feel that a refund has satisfactorily mitigated the distress that has been caused by this, personally. You would ultimately like to remain a long term customer of theirs, if it can be mitigated in some way. 
  • cannugec5
    cannugec5 Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you still have any of the food, and/or packaging I would be contacting environmental health. This is not anywhere near acceptable. 
    Whether you noticed or not is irrelevant. Food should not be  sold beyond its use by date ( yes, I get that best before is a completely different entity). 
  • Altior
    Options
    Altior said:

It doesn't seem implausible to me. The use by dates are always on the cautious side - it will be good until the 10th, not it will be bad on the 11th.   I have opened meat a week past date and decided it was OK to cook and eat (though solid bits, I am a bit more circumspect with mince).

One day yes, not two weeks. For some reference I was a meat & dairy manager for a number of years (albeit many years ago). This included a butcher's counter. Many fresh meats discolour before the use by date, the package starts to blow etc. Pork is actually one of the quickest meats to discolour. One of the practices was to repackage it as BBQ, so the discoloration is covered up (within date). 

Buy a cheap pack of minced pork, open it two weeks after the use by date, and let me know what you think ;)
  • Altior
    Options
    Come to think about it, one possibility is that it was frozen for a period somewhere along the line. Either somewhere in the Green Chef chain to consumer, or by the consumer (no accusations here, just throwing out the possibility). 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback