🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Interest Only to Buy to Let??

Options
2»

Comments

• gsw55
    gsw55 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Perhaps I am missing something from your original post. Is your mortgage term coming to an end. Why can’t you take out another mortgage product from your current or another provider. It may not be interest only but it would secure the property until it’s sold.
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Age shouldn't be a problem but perhaps there is not sufficient guaranteed income in retirement to support a repayment mortgage, or perhaps even a RIO...?
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good luck getting  a council property with the current  housing crisis.
    My 88 year old Dad  now pays £909 per month for his one bed over 55,s sheltered flat.
  • Mustbeananswer??
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies.It spurred me to ring Santander and discuss things with them regarding a solution.The inference was (and it was only am inference) that I should soldier on until November.Probably because of my excellent Credit Rating and the Fact I havent missed a payment for 14 years the suggestion would be that Santander would likely extend the Mortgage for another 5 years (Interest Only still...but at a new increased rate)providing I keep the house on the market(not a problem to me).For the life of me I cannot see why the house is not provoking much interest...its two terraced houses knocked into one(the conversion was done before I bought it) that has been lovingly bought back to life by myself over the years.A single terraced house five doors from me recently sold for 120k.Anyway its my problem..I appreciate all your comments so far..and any others that are subsequently made.
  • mi-key
    mi-key Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't rely on the council housing you sadly. They wouldn't while you own a BTL as they would rightly point out you could live there. If you sell the house and have the equity from paying off the mortgage, they won't consider you a priority as you have plenty of money to rent privately. Council housing is in such short supply these days that it really is for people in desperate need, and anyone who makes themself 'intentionally homeless' won't get it. 

Staying put and extending the mortgage until you sell is probably the best option, even if it takes a year, or look at the figures for changing from interest only to a repayment mortgage
  • Mustbeananswer??
    Options
    dimbo61 said:
    Good luck getting  a council property with the current  housing crisis.
    My 88 year old Dad  now pays £909 per month for his one bed over 55,s sheltered flat.
    Is it in Kensington or Chelsea ??? 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport