Proofreading and copyediting

Options
Hi, 

Would anyone on here be able to advise me on a a good proofreading and copyediting course that I could do online?

I am keen to learn to proofread as I love words and reading.

Unfortunately there are too many courses online and I am not sure which is the best one to go for or who with!

Please help, thanks in advance

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd personally spin it... look at job adverts for proof readers and see if there is any common themes in qualification/certification they ask for. 
  • Liz65
    Liz65 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you, good idea

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A few months ago there was either a thread about proofreading or it was a post on a general thread about secondary incomes. However the comment from the person who was an experienced proofreader was that it was rather boring 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, there are some courses but in my experience, one of the most respected is run by the CIEP - as per link below.

https://www.ciep.uk/

I've been doing proofreading for a few years - both within my employment and now as a self-employed virtual assistant. 

Copyediting is a bit more complex than proofreading as you're not only checking for errors but you are also correcting errors in grammar and punctuation and context. People wanting a copyeditor normally do want someone with a qualification - but that doesn't mean that you can't have training, of course.

Most quality training courses aren't free, unfortunately. But I have found business by word of mouth. If you're good at it, people will recommend you to others. Often the work I've been paid to do has not been long. I've done dissertations and theses for students and yes, they can be a bit boring and not all that profitable for me as I usually feel sorry for students and give them a discount. Soft, yes - but I was a student once and I think their financial struggle is even worse these days.

As lincroft1710 says above, it can be boring but that depends on the subject matter. As with any job, I guess, some content is interesting and some isn't. 

Why not have a google for "how to start copywriting and proofreading" and "how to become a virtual assistant uk". Virtual assistants are usually good all-rounders, willing to tackle typing (audio and copy) and take phone calls and, in the case of one very successful VA, Jo Munro, organise events and conferences. Her link -

https://www.thevahandbook.com/joanne-munros-va-story/

She also has a Facebook page - VA Handbookers - you can join if you just click on the 'join' button - there are over 21k members and they all try to help each other with any problems and occasionally post job opportunities, I believe. That actually might be a good place to start, you will get some great tips and hints.

I found her story very inspirational - she thinks anyone and everyone can be like her and the sky's the limit! 

(Just writing this comment's made me feel a bit more enthusiastic about what I do now from home, so thank you for asking your question.)

I do hope some of this is helpful and I wish you all the very best for the future. You can do it! As Jo says, anyone can if they put in some hard work and it seems like you are willing to do that.

Good luck!    :)
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Liz65
    Options
    Thank you, I do realise it could be boring but just dealing with words excites me!

I will check out all of the things you have mentioned and I am glad my question has given you back your enthusiasm.

Thank you once again
  • Robinette
    Robinette Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    I started copy editing with one of the content mills that recruits people with no experience. It wasn't a great company, but the experience I gained was invaluable. I now work for an amazing content creation company, which provides a regular income, and have private clients who pay a much higher rate. 

Whichever route you take, good luck.  
  • Liz65
    Options
    Thank you for advice
  • leeloolee
    leeloolee Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Robinette said:
    I started copy editing with one of the content mills that recruits people with no experience. It wasn't a great company, but the experience I gained was invaluable. I now work for an amazing content creation company, which provides a regular income, and have private clients who pay a much higher rate. 

Whichever route you take, good luck.  
    Would you mind sharing what it is? I'd love to do something like this.
  • Liz65
    Options
    Hi sorry for late reply, no I am not experienced, just finding out about it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback