Replacement bus

We have replacement bus between Huddersfield and Manchester Airport due to work at Stalybridge. 
I've used this service 4 times and at no point are tickets checked. 
Railway staff are at the stop to make sure you get the correct bus..but absolutely no check. 

I mentioned it to staff and just got a shrug of the shoulders 

Comments

• MikeyPGT
    MikeyPGT Posts: 279
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sounds about right - same on TfW rail replacement buses

Debt Free Wannabe by 1 March 2026 

Satisfied customer of Octopus Agile - currently saving on average 33% of standard tarrif

Deep seated hatred of Scottish Power and all who sail in her - would love to see Ofgem grow a pair and actually do something about it.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,069
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    And your concern is...? Others maybe freeloading? 

If we see a "revenue protection officer" on any of the transport in London more than once a year it's rare. Plenty tailgate through barriers or kids duck under them, people get on the back doors of buses etc. No member of staff is going to put their safety at risk and the standoff between the driver not moving off -v- the kids not being willing to pay will only last so long before they drive on. 

You can join the freeloaders if it makes you feel better but inevitably that's the day they will be checking. 
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,239
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite

If we see a "revenue protection officer" on any of the transport in London more than once a year it's rare. Plenty tailgate through barriers or kids duck under them, people get on the back doors of buses etc. No member of staff is going to put their safety at risk and the standoff between the driver not moving off -v- the kids not being willing to pay will only last so long before they drive on. 

You can join the freeloaders if it makes you feel better but inevitably that's the day they will be checking. 
    I have no intention to freeload. 
    It just makes me cross as does shoplifting. 
    We all pay for for it 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,069
    Forumite

I have no intention to freeload. 
    It just makes me cross as does shoplifting. 
    We all pay for for it 
    Yes, and there are plenty of forums out there about how to maximise your benefits  or minimise your taxes all that come at the expense of others. 

An associate fell on hard times but received a very large lump sum. They could legitimately pay off their considerable mortgage, save themselves interest and claim UC as your home doesn't count towards means tested benefits even if it's a seven figure sum. Whereas if they'd kept the payout and just continued with their monthly mortgage payments with the lump sum in the bank they'd not be entitled to any means tested benefits.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,649
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Rail replacement buses very rarely check tickets. They’re private coaches hired to do a job. The drivers don’t check tickets. 
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,239
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    I can understand that it's not the coach driver's job as you rightly say they're employed to drive. 
    I find it ridiculous though the network rail employees that are there directing you to the right bus don't check tickets. 
    Moan over 
  • outtatune
    outtatune Posts: 521
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Why would Network Rail staff be checking tickets? They don't run trains. They probably have no idea how ticketing works.
  • Marky4040
    Marky4040 Posts: 113
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 23 March 2023 at 8:31PM
    We have replacement bus between Huddersfield and Manchester Airport due to work at Stalybridge. 
    I've used this service 4 times and at no point are tickets checked. 
    Railway staff are at the stop to make sure you get the correct bus..but absolutely no check. 

I mentioned it to staff and just got a shrug of the shoulders 

So let me tell you why they don't check tickets

1. The railway is a unionised environment , a conductors job is not to check tickets on buses
    2. Network Rail compensate the trian operator for loss of revenue if the reason is down to engineering works on the line
    3. If it's a shortage of trains (a TOC issue) they don't want to p*ss off their customers even more. A bus takes longer and doesn't carry prams, buggies, luggage or bikes.

You really need not, look a gift horse in the mouth.
  • the bus drivers do not have any authority to check rail tickets 

it would be the responsibility of the train operating company to check tickets and on one single occasion l saw TOC staff glancing at tickets as they were telling people which bus to get on but they weren't really checking for valid tickets just looking at destinations 

l wonder if a revenue enforcement officer can check tickets as passengers board or exit a rail replacement bus. and another thing that l did hear was that a revenue enforcement officer could not issue a penalty fare to a passenger on a rail replacement bus             
  • marmite1979
    marmite1979 Posts: 159
    Forumite
    How do you know others haven't got tickets are you inspecting them? Unless it's a long journey I don't bother buying a ticket until at the station either by phone or ticket office, if it's a RRB I don't bother as I'll only have to go through the palaver of claiming it back for the delay. 
    Even on train staff struggle to understand the validity of a train  ticket what chance has a bus driver?
    There are plenty of stations where it's impossible to get a bus to and they won't be sending revenue staff to areas where pick up points are miles from the stations, and what for? a few quid, that'll be claimed back later with added costs to the TOC processing it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback