Is firewood in Bulk worth it?

Options
akira181
akira181 Posts: 505 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
I've been looking at places to get firewood and currently I'm paying £6 a bag for 15kg(?) of kiln dried hardwood. Haven't actually tried weighing the bag but it feels around 15kg. Not light enough for 10, not heavy enough to be 20.

I've seen the 1tonne builders bags of wood (around 200kg to 230kg) for wildly varying prices, from £120 (softwood) to £400 (hardwood). But even assuming I get a bulk bag of softwood, it still works out more expensive per kg than the small bags.

Am I missing something or have I just got a good deal for the smaller bags?

Comments

• MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 March 2023 at 5:45PM
    Options
    A builders bag of hardwood would normally e around the £80-120 mark.  Your local suppliers look to be a tad overpriced.

A bulk load will generally work out much cheaper than the small bags.
  • akira181
    Options
    I've asked a couple of suppliers and none of them are really willing to give a rough estimate of the weight of a builders bag. One told me today a bag lasts him a month, which sounds pretty bad. £120 a month in wood is excessive!
    The £6 small bags I'm getting from this builder's yard is about twice the size of the bags in Tesco and the like so it feels cost effective for now.
    Just need to find a bulk load that's reasonably priced
  • MorningcoffeeIV
    Options
    akira181 said:
    I've asked a couple of suppliers and none of them are really willing to give a rough estimate of the weight of a builders bag. One told me today a bag lasts him a month, which sounds pretty bad. £120 a month in wood is excessive!
    The £6 small bags I'm getting from this builder's yard is about twice the size of the bags in Tesco and the like so it feels cost effective for now.
    Just need to find a bulk load that's reasonably priced
    We get through a couple of bags in a year - that's on a wood burner 3-4 times a week from Nov - March (weather dependent), for 3-4 hours a time.

Your supplier must be burning strangers in a wicker man on a daily basis.
  • akira181
    Options
    he said his wife has the burner going from 4.30pm to about 10pm every day, regardless of temperature. And they charge 140 for a bulk bag of hardwood.
    If I've done my maths correctly, my £6 bag works out around £260 per m3. Haven't been able to find anything in bulk below 110 (softwood) yet though.
    I'll have a proper google this weekend for something
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure