LGPS and NHS questions

Options
I'm currently being made redundant and looking for another job. 
I'm currently in the NHS (under 2 years service).

If I find another NHS role which a different trust am I newly enrolled into the pension again or does it just continue?
If newly enrolled, can I then transfer a deferred LGPS into (which didn't get done last time)

If I find a new job in LGPS, I can transfer the NHS and old LGPS into that. What is the benefit other than having less small pots to transferring in? Do they accrue increases better than deferred pots?

Sorry about all the questions! 

Comments

• MakingUpGround
    Options
    Can anyone help with this? x 
  • GrubbyGirl_2
    Options
    Your NHS pension just continues. Don’t know about LGPS 
  • MakingUpGround
    Options
    Thank you. So I wouldn't have the option of transferring in a pension I didn't get done when I first joined 18 months ago?
  • MikeyPGT
    MikeyPGT Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I moved between the civil service, local government and NHS schemes (although some years ago now).  On each occasion I transferred my pension - all were linked to final salary and based on length of service so it made sense to me to do so.  If you've got a way to go before retirement I would think that it is best to transfer, but I'm not an expert.
    Debt Free Wannabe by 1 March 2026 

Satisfied customer of Octopus Agile - currently saving on average 33% of standard tarrif

Deep seated hatred of Scottish Power and all who sail in her - would love to see Ofgem grow a pair and actually do something about it.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you join the LGPS then you will be able to transfer your NHS benefits into the LGPS.

Joining your old and new LGPS records could be a little more complicated, as difference in old/new salaries may apply.

If you do re-join the the LGPS then your options will be/should be explained to you.

• MakingUpGround
    Options
    If you join the LGPS then you will be able to transfer your NHS benefits into the LGPS.

Joining your old and new LGPS records could be a little more complicated, as difference in old/new salaries may apply.

If you do re-join the the LGPS then your options will be/should be explained to you.

Thank you
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure