Annual Allowance Pension Question

I am currently employed full-time and would like to contribute my FULL annual net allowance amount to my SIPP for the tax year 2023-2024 in mid-April 2023. 

However I am to become unemployed in June and will be a non-earner for tax purposes for the foreseeable future (certainly for the 2023-2024 tax year). 

My question is, will my impending unemployment status from June 2023 onwards affect my ability to receive the full tax relief for 2023-2024 on my net amount contibuted in April?

Replies

• edited 14 March at 1:06PM
    artyboyartyboy Forumite
    388 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 14 March at 1:06PM
    Yes, you can only contribute up to the extent of your earnings for that tax year. So if (for example) you only earn 10k up to June before leaving work, and nothing more after that, then 10k gross (8k net) is all you can contribute to a pension.

Do you have the ability (and sufficient earnings) to pay more in for this tax year?
  • edited 14 March at 1:12PM
    LintonLinton Forumite
    16.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    edited 14 March at 1:12PM
    In addition to the Annual Allowance, your pension contributions in a tax year on which you can receive tax relief are limited to your earned income. Unlike AA there is no carry over from previous years.

If you have no earned income the maximum you can contribute to a pension and receive a tax refund is £3600 gross, £2880 net
  • AlbermarleAlbermarle Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    On timing you  can contribute anytime during the tax year. The fact that you are employed for 3 months and unemployed for 9 months does not matter. As above what matters is your total earned income in the tax year.
  • MalibusmashMalibusmash Forumite
    109 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Thank you.  So if I were to contribute in April more than I can receive relief on, then what will happen to the irrelevant contributed amount?
  • LintonLinton Forumite
    16.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    Thank you.  So if I were to contribute in April more than I can receive relief on, then what will happen to the irrelevant contributed amount?

It would appear that if your total pension contributions are in excess of your "relevent earnings" HMRC can instruct your pension provider to repay the excess back to you.  See https://www.investcentre.co.uk/sites/default/files/AJBIC_Contributions_Refunds_Guide.pdf